Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Learning to Judge Distance

Old 08-19-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Learning to Judge Distance

I need some help in trying to teach my 13 year old stepson to judge distance. (I could improve too!).

He shot his first round of 3D with me yesterday and loved it...

Any suggestions for 'games' etc that I can do with him to help him (and me) learn to judge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2004, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Learning to Judge Distance

time, thats all it takes. just spend time with him, with a rangefinder, and practice yardage guesstomation....(cool word huh) i usually will judge the ground first, 10 yards at a time. seeing plenty of targets helps too....sometimes the yardage just jumps out at me. use trees, rocks, lumps of grass to judge off of, working your way to the target. verify by judging back to the stake.......if you can get off to one side, use that too. if you still have trouble look at things beyond the target. sometimes that will tell you the target may be closer. look for detail in the targets at known distances, than while on the range, if you cant make out the detail of the eye of a deer, you know it is past your normal ability to see, it may be 20 yards for you or 40, depending on your vision.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Learning to Judge Distance

I like to find the spot of a known distance. I sit in my backyard and look at a stake that is 30 yrds while I am relaxing to inbed 30 yrds in my head. When I get to a target, I will find where 30 yrds is at ,and then go from there to estimate the distance of the target. I find that most targets are between 25 and 35 yards. This will break down the increments in which I have to judge. I will then split the difference of that judged yardage and estimate that distance to be sure of what I just checked. I will take this method and a range finder, and go ranging 2-3 nights a week. Make a scoring system to see if you both are improving and make a game of it. If you are right on, give yourself an 11. 1-2 yards off, give yourself a 10, etc. etc. etc. I have found that making a game of practice helps alot. And by keeping track of your ranging scores you can find out if you are improving or not. Good luck and tell the youngerster, welcome to the sport of archery.