HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/official-ibo-net-forum-3-d-shooting-24/)
-   -   What do we need to do to get more money? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/official-ibo-net-forum-3-d-shooting/58822-what-do-we-need-do-get-more-money.html)

Varmint28 04-14-2004 05:51 AM

What do we need to do to get more money?

I am shooting the National Triple Crown this year and it is costing me quite a bit of money. Even if I was to win all the shoots I still cant cover travel expences. Don't get me wrong I love the sport and I will compete in archery as long as I can find a shoot. But it sure would be nice if you could make enough money to make all this travel affordable. What do we do?

Raise entry fees?

Ask the IBO to pay out a higher percentage?

Pay less spots?

Give the hosting clubs less?

Help me out here lets help make the IBO more profitable for the shooter wouldnt that be nice?

bartman 04-14-2004 07:55 AM

RE: What do we need to do to get more money?

?

bowjunkie 04-14-2004 08:31 AM

Just my take. IF you are shooting for the money and you are NOT a pro then you are in it for the wrong reasons. Now don't get me wrong I like to make a little money too but If I don't win on a given weekend I have already accounted to not have all the money spent for that weekend. A poll was taken and the shooters wanted to pay back 20% of the field. WHICH means less money at the top because everyone wants paid. It really is a no win situation. If you are at the top of the class less money but if you are in the top 20% you get some money no matter what. I think most of the money needs to stay in the top of the class. If I don't win then I don't deserve as much money, it is as simple as that. I have saw where you can be 5 places apart and less that $50 different in prize money. Is this fair? Not to me BUT that is what the majority wanted and I will live with it. You all got what you asked for so stop whining and start shooting better. Just my opinion. Bowjunkie

60X 04-14-2004 06:44 PM

I agree with paying 20% of the field. I also agree that you shouldn't shoot just for the money. I shoot semi pro and I love to shoot but I do think if you have a good day you should more then pay for your travel. It gets expensive going to all the shoots. I don't think the problem is how much of the field gets paid but rather how much of the entry fee gets paid back out. I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm pretty sure that ASA gets less shooters then IBO but pays the same or better. To really get paybacks the sport need to find outside sponsors to kick in some money. Instead of getting these ripoff concession vendors have pepsi kick in some cash and set up at the shoots. There are so many companies that could add a little bit just like that but they're not envolved for whatever reasons.

keith meador 04-14-2004 09:37 PM

looking at this from the broadest perspective, if you need more money put more money into the organization you participate in.....i know entry fees are high, but if you take money away from the people who put on these shoots, they cannot put on the shoots.

looking at it from a corperate perspective, and dont get me wrong, i love this sport dearly, but why would they put money into it? they are only reaching the actual participants at the shoot, ie, rome ga, 490 shooters. there arent any galleries full of fans following you around the shoot, or 400,000 screaming people watching you drive in circles, it is not a media event. until it becomes one, we survive on our own money. there is no benefit in advertising with archery events. no one sees it.

i dont understand how people think folks are getting rich off of ibo shoots, go buy enough targets to put one on, and secure the facilities, and the land, and the folks to run it, and see how rich you get off of 1000 participants. after years of hosting maybe, but not overnight. i am thankful that there are people who are willing to work untold hours for little return, other than the satisfaction of seeing a shoot run well and no one get hurt.

pay a smaller percentage of the field, or increase the money in the pot. or if you are real inventive, find corperate sponsors who will dole out money and support all of us. just a few million to start, so i can recoup all of my money:D

CENTER PUNCH 04-16-2004 02:37 PM

This would be funny if some people weren't so serious about it. Exactly how much do you need to make to pay for your shooting. Most people do this because they love this sport and not for the money. If the money is all you can think about maybe you should find a different hobby(something that is free, perhaps).

Silent String 04-16-2004 07:21 PM

:D There is this guy by the name Tiger Wood's that plays some game called "GOLF" maybe you should consider changing sports, Lucky, former long bow world champ, did $$$$$;)

60X 04-19-2004 12:45 AM

It's pretty easy to tie up $1000 in a weekend of shooting. Figure air fare, rental car, meals, hotel, registration. Take the over a course of a year and it's real expensive. Winning money along the way helps to ease the pain a little hehe.

Varmint28 04-19-2004 05:57 AM

I dont want to play golf! Im into archery and I can shoot good scores most of the time therefore I would like to see higher payouts to help cover my expences. Hey im happy for you if you enjoy just the archery part mabe when you do win some money you will donate it all back to the hunters defence fund. I love archery but I love the competition more and yes like 60X says a little money along the way can ease the pain. Thats all Im saying Im up for higher entry fees if thats what it takes. And If you dont want the fees shoot the trophy class.

Silent String 04-19-2004 07:31 AM

[&:]Varmint, before you make comments that don"t even make any sense, one should find out whom they might be talking about. I have and will always be willing to shoot for $$$. any time any place!! Too this day I have paid and have recieved $$$$ Remember that when fees go up shooters will be less, this IS A FACT!!! Archery for most shooters is for fun, not $$$. Yes it does cost money to go to shoots, but one was aware of the cost before one decided to go into archery. Oh how about all the archers that don't shoot for $$$. and pay the price to just enjoy the sport.