Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 So much for the hunter class being a beginners class? >

So much for the hunter class being a beginners class?

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

So much for the hunter class being a beginners class?

Old 03-27-2003, 08:04 PM

Default RE: So much for the hunter class being a beginners class?

I don' t see any problem here. Ifa guy is content shooting in the HunterClass then so be it. Does an MBR participant have to move up a class if they win twice in one year or does an MBO participant have to move up a class if they do the same? No they don' t. If we want to gripe about something then let us find out why the youth classes are not split into fixed pin and adjustable sight classes. I don' t want to hear that it is because of the numbers. There are many classes that would have far less participants than these would if they were divided. We have seperate classes for the female and the male adult classes only seems fair to have the youth classes the same way. Only my opinion.[]
Old 03-27-2003, 09:13 PM

okay, here is my .02, i have never seen in the rule book that this is an ability class. the only restriction in this class is equipment, therefore, just as in the open, and mbr, it is an equipment class.
i feel that the addition of the hc has helped many clubs on the local levels greatly. there seems to be a number of posts that reflect that feeling, but, (and there is always a but) people who travel to the big ibo shoots, are usually, more advanced shooters than the bulk of the shooters at the local club.
i agree that the abiltiy of the shooters in the hc probably exceeds what the class could be used for, but until the ibo has the means of testing a shooters ability, there will be and should not be a change.
i think there are shooters in the open that will never win an ibo national triple crown shoot, or a world shoot. should the ibo cull them out and make them shoot in a lesser class, that would be the same as moving up a hc shooter based on ability.
if you win two events in hc, you are asked by the ibo to move up. that rule is a little scewed, because there are a lot of great shooters in the class. if it were to be truly fair to all, base participation on score alone.
if the shooters in the hc shoot say a 385 or higher at the triple crown, as an average, they probably have the ability to shoot in the mbr class. will this run shooters off, who knows. will leaving the class the same run shooters of lesser ability off, who knows. either way you loose. so you take the lesser of the two evils if you can identify it. any suggestions out there?

back to the club shoots, which benifits the bulk of the board members here with a place to shoot on the weekends, the addition of the hc at the local clubs around here has brought some additional shooters out that normally would not be there. these folks are progressing and most move out of hc after a year or so anyway. most want to shoot in the open class reguardless of ability. these new shooters are our future. the hc gives them a good place to start and stay in the sport. i have asked a number of our new shooters to go to the ibo shoots and the response is always, i cant shoot with the big boys there. then i explain the hc and on occation, they will make the trip to bedford to see what it is all about. most are not concerned with winning, they just want to have fun. in time the drive to get better will take over and most of the shooters around here have moved up without much coaxing.

as for the perception of sandbagging in the hc, yes, there is some going on, and is a matter of character and morals more than ability, the shooters should make the move without the urging of the ibo, but that doesnt seem to be happening.

i cannot say that i have any answers, or solutions, but i am aware of the problem, as it is percieved, but until there is a rules change, at present, there is no infraction being committed.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:11 AM

A far as the hunter class being for the beginner, I totally agree. There is only one reason why guys drop back to this class, and that is they are tired of getting there butts kicked in the MBO and SP classes . So they drop back to where guys who have just started shooting last year, or even this year, so they can finaly say I beat someone. Probably not even thinking about it that they just beat a guy who bought a new bow last week. As far as the 11 ring. Its A good thing . If you can hit it at a 43yd deer and I can' t you clearly maade a better shot than I did.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:12 PM

the ibo screwed up on this one by offering so much money the first year of this class, and even though that has been rectified the damage is done, my opinion is also to make it a no money class and give trophies instead.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:32 PM

i don' t see why the prizes are any different than MBO or any other class. HC is the same thing just different rules.
ON another note..........
Beginners should be out to learn new stuff not to win classes. all this " winning" stuff is getting to peoples head.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 PM
eb

I was just wondering how many of you guys that are so opposed to the hunter class even shoot in it?
Old 03-31-2003, 07:38 PM

This subject has been discussed so much it is hard to get any new opinions.
Let us start by checking the records and see what increases the HC has given the IBO in total shooters. Any class that is that successfull as far as drawing shooters at the club level on up is worthy of much study. Even if theses shooters are coming from within the IBO class system who is to say that they could have also dropped out of the IBO because they were unhappy with the class that they were competing in for what ever reason? How can we not say that when this class was formed that many people switched because it better matched their real interest in archery? If being able to win is the only reason that all these people have switched or joined this class why does the class keep growing or at least maintaining high figures. Study some of the facts and think about the overall results of the class and then make suggestions for changes that can be evaluated by the responsible people. If we can only offer things that represents what will best make us a winner on the award stand we are only promoting failure for the class and even the organization. IMHO.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:43 PM

I would like to respond to all the messages about the HC class. I finished #4 in the Indoor Worlds in the HC class. This was also only my second national event. I finished #98 in the Outdoor Worlds last year in Snowshoe.
I have used the class to start my path of competition in the IBO. This is my second year shooting 3-D' s and after my finish at Snowshoe last year made a solid decision to practice hard all winter, get help from my local pro shop (Strictly Archery,Washington N.J. Tom DiRisio) and make myself a better shooter for 2003.
I did not drop down from the MBO,or MBR classes, and already plan to move up in 2004. I will use the rest of this year to shoot the P.A. triple crown and the Outdoor Worlds in the HC class. I feel this was a great asset for a beginning shooter to learn the ropes of shooting at a national level event. For all the shooters who dropped down to post the big score, I don' t have to wrestle with your conscience, just doing this to tell yourself or your friends you won an IBO event is pretty poor. Keep the class for what it' s used for. Change the rules to not allow anyone from the MBO,or MBR class to drop down once they have shot an event in the upper classes. Thanks to the Parma City Archery club for a great shoot at Cleveland!
Old 04-04-2003, 02:01 PM

First let me say congrats to Outshootme for his 4th place this is proof of your hard work and training and I think your moving up next year is the right thing to do. If only more people would fallow in your foot steps HC would not be so frustrating for first year shooters.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be shooting at Bedford for the 1st time, this will be my 1st national shoot. I have enjoyed shooting the local shoots around here for years but I wanted to try a national shoot.I have attended world shoots and national shoots to watch my husband shoot, but now its my turn,I was very intimidated by the idea at 1st but the folks that I shoot indoor leagues and 3D with told me not to worry That I am proficient enough to shoot Bedford.
I usually dont have to shoot past 40 yards at the local shoots except every once in a while, so I dont feel confident enough in my yardage estimations past 40 yards. So I have decided that I will shoot the FHC for the 1st time and hopefully after another year of practice at judging yardage estimations of 40 yards and over I will then return to Bedford and shoot the FBR. So thats my reason for shooting the FHC.
Im really looking forward to the shoot,I just know its gonna be fun

Quick Reply: So much for the hunter class being a beginners class?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.