Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Vane change for HC

Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Vane change for HC

Is there a chance I can use my 2" blazers for Hunter Class in 2009?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Vane change for HC

WELCOME!!!!Not unless they change the rules. You can shoot AHC and use Blazers.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Greg, I just wanted to get this out there because i think it is time that this needs to be addressed because of more and more hunters switching to a 2-3"blazer type of a vane for hunting - me being one of them. Thanks Bob
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im with ya!!!!!I agree!! We use them for hunting so why not for 3D. When I get done with 3DI'll be switching my arrows over to blazers.Really cant figure what the big deal is??
Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Mr. Watkin's, The more hunter class shooters I talk to the more it seems that this rule should be addressed. What does the IBO have to say about theadvancement in fletching over the past few years and the rule of feathers or vanes no less than 4" allowed. It seems that over 90% of the hunters on TV use some type of short blazer type vane. Wouldn't you think that alot of hunters are switching to the short vanes also, especialy how well they do work. If many shooters use their hunting set-ups for IBO, I wonder how many have to change to 4" after hunting season and thenback to blazers oretc.for hunting season.A reply would be appreciated, Thanks Bob
Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 PM

Mr. Kolarich,
This issue has been addressed as recently as last fall. The Board received input from multiple shooters both for and against the possible rule changes. The IBO Board of Directors are fully aware of the advancements in technology as they apply to archers and bowhunters alike. It was the decision of the Board that these advancements did indeed deserve to be addressed but that the change should be in the class designated as an advancement in knowledge and ability. That is why you are now able to use those products in the "Advanced Hunter Class".

Chris Turner
IBO Sec/Treas.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM

To all Hunter Class shooters who shoot a 2"blazer type vane for hunting and switch to a 4" vane for IBO: The rule may never be changed ,the only way it might have a chance tobe changed is if a vast majority of you would like the rule to be changed. If not see you next year in HC with my 4" vanes.

I will no farther address this issue. Thanks Bob Kolarich

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Why should i have to have 2 different set of arrows ,one for hunting using 2 inch vanes and another with 4 inch vanes for ibo shoots. No matter what size vane is on the shaft you still have to judge the yardage and make the shot. Mr. Turner if it is a hunter class as you say then there should be no back tension release allowed in this class,or weighted shafts used also.I don't know any hunter out there who takes a back tension release hunting with them. It has nothing to do with knowledge or abililty as you say,its just your way of keeping the hunter class 3rd rate. The ibo was started out to help the hunter. Lets do the right thing and allow the use of 2 inch vanes in this class.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 AM

Two points for the record.
1. My responce above was made after noting that the initial discussion was started by a first time poster, and that he may not have been aware that the issue had been recently addressed. No disrespect was intended for him or his opinion on this issue, even though Irealise he disagrees with the outcome.

2. The opinion that somehow the HunterClasses are "3rd Rate" is yours alone, and is definately not shared with myself or anyone else in this organization. I do not believe that anyone could truely look at the competition results, nortalk to and get to know any of these shooters and come up with that opinion.

Somehow we have got to get away from the hangup on class names. We are a bowhunting organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of our bowhunting heritage. It stands to reason that as we devide the classes by equipment and shooting styles we would make a nod towards the bowhunter. That is why you have several classes that in some way denote "bowhunter" in the name. (MBO= Male Bowhunter Open, FBO = Female Bowhunter Open ect...)Every time I hear the arguments based on the name of the class, I have to note that the name of the class, "Hunter Class", does not specify bowhunter as several do. There are far more "hunters" carrying guns of one form or another into the woods that never carry a bow. We don't have a class for that. McKenzie/Delta make great targets, but I'm afraid that if we start shooting them with slugs or riffles the cost will go way up.

Now I know that that was an exagerated responce based on your comments, but it goes to my point. Arguments based on the name of a class get silly very quickly. Currently we have Male Bowhunter Release-fixed pins allowing glue-in points, short vanes, and long stabilizer, Hunter Class- fixed pins allowing screw in points, 4 inch vanes, 12 inch stabilizer, and in between we have Advaced Hunter Class- fixed pins allowing shorter vanes (2"), screw in points and 12 inch stabilizer. I fail to see where we can't cover your set-up somewhere in there.

Feel free to disagree with me, I have no problem with that. In doing so, however, please try to avoid these two base arguments:
1. Becase of the name of the class we should........... (again, my 30/06 is very accurate at those distances)
2. I want to shoot whatever I want, how I want, and the rest should conform to me. ( Oh, make sure it stays fair without giveing someone else an advantage I don't currently use.)

Ok, I guess I have a third.
No matter what vane you use you still have to make the shot.
No matter what gender or age you are you still have to make the shot.
No matter what bow you use (longbow, recurve or compound) you still have to make the shot.
No matter what sight you use you still have to make the shot.
No matter what the distance is you still have to make the shot.
No matter what stabilizing system you use you still have to make the shot.

All of these statements are true, but in fair and equal competition you will rarely find anyone who will agree with all of them. We could quickly be down to one class.

Guess I woke up a bit cranky and haven't had enough coffee yet. I hope everyone has a great day and we will see you all in New York.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM

I dont really see the agument here. If a vast number of people drop out of the HC and move to the AHC because of a vane change then there will be no choice but for the board to make the rule change. Otherwise the HC class will be minimal at best with attendance. Basically it works like everything else, there are power in numbers but a complaint here and there will not get you anything. So everyone hunting with 2" blazers should just move up to the AHC after all you do still have to hit the targets and vanes will not make that much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Vane change for HC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.