Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 IBO rule changes due to 3DI >

IBO rule changes due to 3DI

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

IBO rule changes due to 3DI

Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 AM

Default IBO rule changes due to 3DI

Last year the rules for the three stick classes(Trad, LB & RU) were changed because of the IBO's involvement in the 3DI. It was the opinion of a few that the lack of success for the 3DI team was due to the fact our recurve and longbow shooters needed to shoot longer distance and string walk/face walk. So the rules were changed in all three classes. LB and Trad just saw the increase from 25 yards to 30. While the RU saw the increase in yardage plus the addition of string walking and face walking.As a participant the last two years in RU I am concerned. First, rules were changed that did not help the classes and then a team was not sent to the 3DI tournament. Second, my biggest concern, the classes were all down in participation in 2007. Every shoot last year(National Triple Crown) participation was down with the exception of Trad at Erie. Total participationwas down 34%(32 shooters in 06/21 in 07) in LB, 31%(45 shooters in 06/31 in 07) in RU, and 11%(56 in 06,50 in07) in Trad.Which made an overall decrease of 24% in all classes.

I see this year that the IBO has returned LB to 25 yards. What are you going to do for RU & Trad? As for myself I don't have a problem with the 30 yards or the string and face walking. However, string and face walkingare only legal in the IBO no one else allows it. So my biggest question is.....Since 3DI which ultimately only effects 4 stick shooters(those that make the team) wasn't a reality in 2007 and may not be again in 2009, why don't we go back to the rules we had previously?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IBO rule changes due to 3DI

I personally am returning to shoot at least a couple legs of the TC and the worlds (Trad or RC)because the stakes where moved backed a little bit - would have preferred 35 max myself.

Steve
Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
K_N

Personally I think the equipment and yardage rules are the best they have ever been in a while. Some of the crazy things like no double string nocks and the 1/8 pad size limit in LB and trad have been removed from the rules. If people want to shoot short they can get some wood arrows and a longbow. The better equipment in trad and ru easily allows a person to reach out 5 more yards. If anything RU could be jumped up to 35.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:49 PM

You misunderstood what I stated. I have no problem with the rules other than with the string and face walking. I don't have a big problem with that other than you can't do it if you shoot in another organization. It is not something I want to mess with. What I am concerned is that PARTICIPATION has fallen off. Comparing 2006 to 2007 the only difference for these classes was the rule changes. We shot the same shoot sites at approximately the same time. I purposely left out the World because of the site change from Snowshoe to Anderson. I think that the stick classes should go to 35 yards if they want to stay in step with the Europeons. They shoot 30 meters(approx. 33 yards). The bottomline in all this for me is....the change did not bring more shooters out(i.e. not a positive for the classes) and THERE WAS NOT A 3DI TEAM SENT TO EUROPE.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
K_N

ASA has almost zero participation from stickshooters compared to IBO. So I dont think changing IBO rules to match ASA rules would bring in any more shooters. If anything it might drive them away.
More than likely the drop in shooters was from gas prices if anything. And people should not let string walkers scare them. They do not seem to have proved to be that much superior as far as scores go...
Old 03-04-2008, 04:21 PM

K N what does ASA have to do with this? I don't recall ever mentioning ASA in any of my posts on this subject. Participation or lack of in ASA has more to do with wood bow shooters being unwilling to shoot against someone with a metal riser & elevatated rest(i.e. IBO Traditional & Longbow vs RU).More they only want to shoot 25 yards. This year the RU class with probably be down one more shooter as I will probably not shoot. Not just because it is becoming economically unfeasible but since long distance snipers such as yourself are coming out I couldn't stand the embarrassment.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
K_N

Dan I am sorry if I was wrong about you meaning ASA but since you also shoot ASA and ASA is one of the only other large "orgs" that shoots 3D competitively and since ASA does not allow stringwalking I thought that was what you were talking about... Forgive me for adding 2+2 and making a guess that the answer was 4.

PS sorry that my lowly instinctive shooting skills has scared you off.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM

K N this is something that has been a long time coming. Every year I say this is it for the IBO. I have no interest in continueing in RU because of the low turnout/low payback. IF I do continue it will be in Traditional and only IF I get another bow. For now I will stay in the ASA with lower entry fees and higher pay back.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM

K N also with the IBO when they make a rule change they either just do it or they take a poll. A poll is a fine thing but only poll the folks that the changes will effect. I mean don't ask me what I think the MBO or the Pros should do ask them. These changes in LB,Trad & RU were done only because of the 3DI. As these classes had shot 25 yards with no "walking" the previous couple of years. It will be interesting to me to see what happens next year. If there will be a 3DI team or not, what participation is in Trad & RU and whether rules will be changed again? BTW NOBODY scares me when it comes to shooting. I have been beat by almost everyone so it is nothing new to me.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never understood the concept of amatuers competing for cash - just me.
Dave - the following is an "in general" comment not directed at you - since I do not know you.
Maybe whats hurting attendance slightly is the seemingly yearly change of rules - distance, equipment, shooting methods etc etc etc.
The perception of many are these changes are sparked a vocal few trying to gain personal advantage (for those $200 windfalls).
How about leaving them for 2 or 3 years and see what really happens with attendance

Steve

Quick Reply: IBO rule changes due to 3DI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.