Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

No blazers?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default No blazers?

Ok , I'm looking at the rules on the IBO home page and the way it reads blazers are a nono. Am I missing something here?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No blazers?

Hmmmm 32 hits and no reply's....... just wonderin guys ;..no big litigation/debate here..LOL
Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 AM

no your not missing anything I know its popular with broadheads but there is still a 4 inch fletching rule in hunter. the whole idea of a 4inch flething rule is to get people to use a "HUNTING SETUP" and if you allowed blazers then you would open the door for all kinds of other vanes which would not be a HUNTING SETUP
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Somehow that makes sense, LOL. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 AM

Since Predators and Blazers were designed as hunting vanes, and arrows weigh 5 gpp, why not allow them? The low profile, 4" vanes are no heavier.HC would still require screw in points.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 AM

All of my hunting arrows are set up with Blazers. Shoot great with broadheads.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 PM

C. LEVEL THREE – ENTRY LEVEL ADULT CLASSES - Trophy Awards- Monetary Awards (if offered) at Random

[ul]1. HUNTER CLASS (HC)
A compound, recurve, or longbow shot with or without sights. A sight shall have no more than four fixed, cross hair, or circle style pins without lens or magnification. If circle style pins are used, all circles must be the same size. A sight may have a rear aperture (ie. Peep sight or fixed rifle type sight). Sights may not be adjusted after entering the shooting course. Arrows must have screw in points and at least three feathers or vanes no less than four inches long (measured minimum 3.75in). Only one stabilizer may be used. The stabilizer shall be no more than twelve inches long, and extend no more than twelve inches from the point of attachment to the bow. Note rule change page 5, C-6, concerning peep sights.
Un-weighted vibration dampers are not considered to be stabilizers. May be shot with finger tab, shooting glove or release. HC archers shoot from the yellow stake.
If an archer wins more than once in HC at a qualifying event for shooter of the year, or wins either the National Championship or World Championship during any one IBO shooting year, that archer must advance to another class for the entire duration of the following IBO shooting year.[/ul]
[ul]My 2 cents[/ul]
[ul]Since the Hunter Class was established as an "Entry Level" class it seems to me that equipment restrictions should be kept in line with what "most" hunters use. The average bowhunter in the field, which this class is intended, does not shoot little vanes. If you want to "step up" your equipment with little vanes, longer stabilizers or movable sights the IBO has a class for that. My hunting bows have slider sights that were designed for hunting but are not allowed in HC and I don't complain. I bet if a poll was taken most folks thatshoot Blazers on their huntingrig still use a different bow for3D. JMO Pete[/ul]
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 PM

For the record, blazers are fine vanes and very legal to use in several classes. Just not the ones with longer vane restrictions. If they chose to produce a 4" Blazer vane it would then be legal in all classes.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Is there any thought to allowing Blazers and similar vanes in HC?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:54 AM

Thepossibility ofallowing shorter vanes in therestricted classesis, and has been a matter under consideration. There is a committee that will be closely reviewing that matter and presenting reccommendations this fall. Note: There will not be a change for this shooting year already in progress. Several factors are involved beyond their performance with a broadhead. Market saturation and standardization is one example. Keeping in mind that these are viewed as entry level classes, one consideration is when they become available as "standard" products offered at stores such as Dick's, Gander Mountain, and the like and not just through pro-shops where a higher level of product awareness is available to the seasoned competitor.Another factor involved is class distinction. There are few distinquishing charecteristics between some of the classes now. As those differences are removed the push becomes stronger to combine "like" classes and eliminate some of the burden shouldered by our local clubs. When and if this happens it is possible for someones preferred distance for competition to change. This distance could go either way.The standard being taught in "Bowhunter Education" classes is still a 4" to 5" vane for stabilization. Will those standards change? I presume they will at some point. But,right now we basically have 1 manufacturer marketing a vanethat meets this discription. What happens to that standard if they should for whatever reason drop that product line? Again, I presume that changes will come at some point.We will have multiple manufacturers seccuring the productlongevity and making it available on the shelves of retailers selling to the average bowhunter. Wewill begin teaching standards on the same par with the technology and we will eventually have to tackle the issue of class differences becoming less and less.

So, is it being considered? Yes.
Are we going to change it for this shooting year? No.
Are we going to ever change it? Possibly, but maybe not.
What can you do to influence the decision? Contact your favorite manufacturer and let them know how important you feel this product developement and availability is. Encourage them to work through the NBEF to provide the data to support updates to the teaching standards. And finally continue to think of the subject beyond how a particular product functions with a broadhead. Keep the discussion going, that is how change happens.