Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 IBO - PLEASE RESPOND - 2007 RULES >

IBO - PLEASE RESPOND - 2007 RULES

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

IBO - PLEASE RESPOND - 2007 RULES

Old 09-18-2006, 06:02 AM

Default IBO - PLEASE RESPOND - 2007 RULES

Ijust read the new rule changes for 2007. In the changes posted, there is no reference to laser sights now being illegal in all classes. According to the 2004 & 2005 rule book, lasers were legal in several classes. In addition, the rules posted on the IBO web site in 2006 stated lasers were legal in the same classes. Suddenly in August of 2006,a change was posted on the web site stating lasers sights are now illegal in all classes. Yet no mention of the change in the current rule change posting.

I am very interested in seeing a copy of the minutes from the rules commity meetingregarding this issue. Do you plan to make these minutes available to the public?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Default RE: IBO - PLEASE RESPOND - 2007 RULES

Lee,
The rule you are referring to isn't really a "new" rule for 2007. In the spring of 2006 we finalised a complete re-write of the rulebook. This re-write addressed several rules which were either fragmented,vague, or in this case conflicting. You are right that up untill then the wording remained allowing laser sights. However, at least as far back as 2001 wording has also been that using any device to project an aiming point onto the target was considered unsportsmanlike conduct. So, technically, you could have used the sight as long as you did not turn it on. Kind of defeats the purpose, I think. With the re-write we eliminated the double standard and clearified the intent. These changes were posted, I believe about mid April, not in August.

As a side note, many states consider the use of laser sights illegal hunting equipment.

I hope this answers your questions.
Chris