Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Bino rules at the stake

Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Bino rules at the stake

I could use some clarification on the new bino rule at the stake, please. The rule talks about archers not adjusting their sights at the stake after they have used their binos, but it also talks about archers waiting their turn at the shooting stake. This is where I'm confused. I just assumed I'm either at the stake shooting, or I'm waiting to step to the stake and shoot, not both. Myquestion is this, if I'm not at the stake shooting the target, but I'm the next shooter in the group to shoot,and I'm looking at the target with my binos while the other shooter shoots the target, can I adjust my sight,after I step to the shooting stake for my turn, before I look through my binos at the target?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:09 PM

Default RE: Bino rules at the stake

my interpretation is that if you are on deck, not at the stake, not in the act of shooting or at the stake preparing to shoot, you can use binoculars. once on the stake, you judge yardage, set your sight, and then are again able to use the binoculars. that is how the rule reads. if you are in the on deck area, as i read it, i am assuming the area behind the stake as used in the national triple crown events, it is legal to view the target, and while another shooter is on the stake you can use them...not all of the southern triple crown events have that area designated by a stake or sign. i like the idea of holding the groups away from the shooting group. it gives the shooting group space, and in the case of the open class, does not allow for sight tape watching. i have witnessed this on several occasions at local shoots where the group behing you will catch up and look at your "equipment"...i always move my sight as i step off of the stake if i suspect a tape watcher, then put my bow in plain sight...look if you want, get what you get....

Old 04-14-2006, 05:52 PM

i was at an asa shoot and i suspected that the pearson behind me was looking at my tape(it has a cover i just dont use it every target bad habit). i stepped up to a target and put 34 yards on it and twelved it, then immediatly moved it to 39. while we went up to pull arrows he of course looked and came up and missed the target high. i continued to do this to him for 4 targets before he finally caught on.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alabamaarcher

i was at an asa shoot and i suspected that the pearson behind me was looking at my tape(it has a cover i just dont use it every target bad habit). i stepped up to a target and put 34 yards on it and twelved it, then immediatly moved it to 39. while we went up to pull arrows he of course looked and came up and missed the target high. i continued to do this to him for 4 targets before he finally caught on.
LMAO, cheaters never prosper. I have done that when I knew someone was looking over the shoulder on a test, mark the wrong answer and then 'recheck' and change the ones I marked wrong to the right one! The look on their face at scoring time is 'priceless' a Master Card commercial!

Nice thinking! [8D]
Old 04-15-2006, 09:12 AM

Out of curiosity... Why are binos allowed. I would imagine that any set of binos could be used as a range finder by manipulating the focus from a known point. I personally just shoot because I enjoy it and my son does as well. I am happy to just fall above mid-pack. But, I would think that someone that was shooting for a stronger reason might be tempted. All you would have to do is mark 30 yds and then know that a quarter turn is equal to 5 yards or what ever the factor was. Doesn't seem too complex. I don't really know whay the cards wouldn't work by themselves.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do too, just for the practice and fun. Takes a lot of time to veiw, so I just figure in my head and then shoot. Depending on shot then I begin to adjust distance and shoot better on other targets. If that makes sense.

Just wanted to get better for the woods! [8D]
Old 04-16-2006, 02:57 PM

i for one find it apalling that anyone at a big shoot such as the triple crown or the worlds would cheat and better not let me catch ya cause everyone that we encounter for the rest of the shoot will know about ya.

i for one love my binocs and yes my scores jumped dramatically when i started using them fulltime. as for not using binocs well, when you are there for a tournament that is exactly what it is and i'm there to win. so when every point counts and every 11 could make the difference then yes i want my binocs. yes guys shoot local 3d's for hunting practice and that is great. but look at some of them targets, if you aim where you think you should for hunting purposes than you arent going to score very high so a quality set of binoculars could make the difference.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 AM

Keith got it pretty much on the 11!

ken12

Old 04-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Thank's guys for the info. Here's why I asked. When My group gets to the target, and I'm not the 1st shooter up, I like to step up in line with the stake and get a good look at the target. I then step aside set my sight and wait my turn to shoot. While waiting I glass the target as the others shoot. When It's my turn, I step to the stake, make my final adjustments to my sight, glass the target again and proceed with the shot. It is a change will have to remind ourselves of though.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:24 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: ken12

Keith got it pretty much on the 11!

ken12
[/
quote]

probably the only 11 this year.......lol