Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Pro Pin or Hunter Pro class >

Pro Pin or Hunter Pro class

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Pro Pin or Hunter Pro class

Old 12-05-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Pro Pin or Hunter Pro class

So what do you think about trying to get a pro pin class? The unlimited shooters have nowhere to go except open if they want to progress in shooting.
The open shooter has a pro class so does the limited shooter but the pin shooters have nowhere.I emailed Scott Slate at Toxonics and ask about contingency if this class was ever started he said he would be interested if the IBO and ASA had this class.
This has been a big topic on the other organizations forum but we have been told the archery companoes would have to get behind this class,well I am just one shooter and the first company I contact said yes.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pro Pin or Hunter Pro class

There's already to man pro classes, pin shooters do have a place to go, it's open pro, open means any sight. Just my opinion, but pro is pro is pro and its broken down already to far for the population of shooters we have, which renders it closer and closer to meaningless to say you are the champion.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Too many Pro classes?? I suppose we could just combine Pro Fingers with Open Pro cause they are all men, shoot might as well throw the Seniors in there too. Now we would be down to two Pro Classes. Heck there really isn't that many Women Pros so let's just throw them in with the rest. Man I just saved IBO and everyone else a lot of money on trophies.(Breaks arm patting himself on back) The variety of archery styles is what makes this a great sport. I will admit though that you can only slice a small pie so many times. The fixed pin classes are divided enough as it is. Senior pins is a great idea as hopefully there are older shooters who will participate. Something needs to be done with the Hunter class. If this class were to function in the way it was intended it would bring new shooters into 3D. To function this way however someone would have to police the shooters i.e. not allow former semipro and others from shooting. My suggestion would be ...Senior pins, MBR, HC. The HC would have an immediate move out rule such as ...if you shoot 400(even or better at a Shooter of the Year qualifying event) you are immediately moved to MBR.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:25 PM

Good idea Finger but let me just put this scenario out to you. Lets say "Bob" is capable of shooting over400 95 percent of the time in a tournament. Bob gets to the 40TH target and his score is 398 and Bob does not want to move up to MBR. Bob nocks an arrow and pulls the string back about 3 inches with his fingers and lets it go. The arrow flies out about 20 feet, it doesn't hurt the arrow at all but Bob can't retrieve it while his foot is still touching the stake. Bob gets a big fat zero on his card and ends up with a 398 for his final score. He is happy because he does not have to move up to MBR and he also knows that NOBODY can beat him by more than one point because if they do they get moved up to MBR. Bob does that in the 3 tournaments of the Triple Crown and what do you know he is the WINNER!!! It would encourage sandbagging. Just something for you to work on. It would be nice to make the Hunter Class be what it was designed for though.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Bob still wouldn't win cause someone would shoot 400+ for first. Sad as it is there are people who think that winning a lower class than their ability places them is an accomplishment. IF there was a true competion committee that checked the backgrounds of shooters(dang I sound like Big Brother don't I) you could eliminate some of this. Sorry Bob didn't mean to pick on you. It is just that you have that easy example name.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny how often "Bob" gets picked on[8D] Heck even Quizno's little guy is Bob!

I agree about the hunter class stuff, my issue is "pro" classes. To me "pro" is the best of the best and winning it is worth bragging about. There are places where multiple pro classes make sense, men/women for example. The issue I have is where do you draw the line? There are places for the top pin shooters to go now, move to open pro and roll the dice. Yes you are at a slight disadvantage, but that's you decision. I think adding more and more pro classes only diminishes the bragging rights/pride of winning the IBO Pro division.

We already have several "world champions" at the end of the summer. Why add more? The pin shooters have a couple of "pin" classes, winning MBR is HIGHLY worth bragging about. The next step up is to move to open and/or the spm/pro path. Open is not for "scopes" open is for "any sight", pins included. Yup, its a bit of a disadvantage to use pins over a scope, but its an equipment choice, there are advantages to different power scopes vs a movable pin as well. It's all a choice.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 PM

Finger you said that if someone shot 400 or more they would have to move up in class. Now you are saying that if someone shoots 400+ that they would win. If they shot 400+ they would only win that particular tournament, I think that is what you are saying. I think I was talking more about winning the Triple Crown.If they shoot 400 plus in the2ND shoot they would not be able to shoot the 3RD shoot because they would be moved out of the class. How can they win if they would automatically get put out of the class. The only time someone could shoot 400+ is in the 3RD shoot because then it is over for the year and he would winand he would have tomove to MBR the next year. Are you saying that anyone that shoots 400 would be moved out of the class immediately or are you saying they would not move out until the next year? By the way I think your idea is a great one,we just aren't on the same page yet. I think anyone who shoots 400 should have to move also.By the way my name is Bob too!!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 PM

I have known some guys who were pretty dang good with pins. However, their scores compared to top Open scores while still dang good would not be at the top. It has always been perceived that the open setup was the best to score with. Back in the day when IBO made finger shooters use fixed pins only I chose to shoot ASA because of using the open setup. At several of the ASA ProAms the winner shot fixed pins. It can be done but the likelyhood of it in MBO or Open Pro is very very slim.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:11 PM

Yea Bob I think Matt Bressler is one happy guy right now. lol And winning MBR is something to be very proud of.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 PM

Now that makes about as much sense as shooting fingers in the open pro because it is a pro division. If you want to just shoot amatuer forever that is all fine and good but to say there are to many pro classes already, well enough said about that issue.

Open to open pro
limited to limited pro
senior to senior pro
female open to pro female
MBR-Hunter to?????

Quick Reply: Pro Pin or Hunter Pro class

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.