Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Why was society and culture in the early 2010s so vapid? >

Why was society and culture in the early 2010s so vapid?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Why was society and culture in the early 2010s so vapid?

Old 09-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Spike

Default Why was society and culture in the early 2010s so vapid?

I was just an idealistic college student during that time and I remember it as a vapid time. Reality shows, cop shows, and doctor soaps were the dominant forces on TV. Most of my fellow students were more interested in becoming rich, partying, and watching reality TV.

There was no interest in space and sci fi.

Not to say those are bad things but why not aspire to be athletic, fun loving, and yet smart like the badass Apollo astronauts?

Why did people back then felt more pressure to conform to stereotypes back then?

Now TV is in a flood of swords, dragons, and spaceships.
Amazon’s The Wheel of Time Trailer Is Here!

Apple TV Plus' 'For All Mankind' takes a lesson from the Mars rover

Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop Will Debut in November

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Announces Its Crew—Including Lieutenant Uhura

Apple TV Plus’ ‘Foundation’ Is a Sharp Remix of Isaac Asimov’s Sci-Fi Classic for a New Age: TV Review

Why was society and TV viewers so vapid? Would the world be a better place if society was inspired by astronauts again?

Last edited by SpaceCDR; 09-24-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I see you are still trying to drum up interest in ...Deleted by CalHunter... Here is a clue, ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 09-26-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 4, 6, 8 & 12. Warning.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it depends on how wide your horizons were. In the early 2010's, Star Trek and Star Wars were going strong with many spinoffs and still are. Marvel Universe movies started in the mid 2000's although they are a cross between super heroes and sci-fi. Comic-cons with cosplay were very popular and many of the sci-fi celebrities were still alive back then to attend the conventions. Books never slowed down in this genre. I guess if you only looked at mainstream stuff on TV or in a college echo chamber (no offense but colleges are not as enlightened as they used to be), you would have that kind of limited perspective.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I see you are still trying to drum up interest in your space crap. Here is a clue, no one was interested in your first sorry attempt to garner some interest and this one will not either. You must be a sad astronaut wannabe.
He got you to comment.

Must be working.

-Jake
Old 09-25-2021, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, it didn't work, I didn't bite and talk about his space jam!
Old 09-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, it didn't work, I didn't bite and talk about his space jam!
Adding more hits to his thread I see.

-Jake
Old 09-26-2021, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SpaceCDR View Post
I was just an idealistic college student during that time and I remember it as a vapid time. Reality shows, cop shows, and doctor soaps were the dominant forces on TV. Most of my fellow students were more interested in becoming rich, partying, and watching reality TV.

There was no interest in space and sci fi.

Not to say those are bad things but why not aspire to be athletic, fun loving, and yet smart like the badass Apollo astronauts?

Why did people back then felt more pressure to conform to stereotypes back then?

Now TV is in a flood of swords, dragons, and spaceships.

Why was society and TV viewers so vapid? Would the world be a better place if society was inspired by astronauts again?
Let me ask you a friendly question or two: Is sci-fi any less vapid and is it correct to use it as a measure of culture? Culture goes well beyond movies, let alone movie genres, and sci-fi has a reputation of being frivolous in many quarters to begin with. That isn't to say sci-fi is frivolous or vapid by definition; the movie 2001 proves that it can be quite profound. However, rarely does it touch on great issues and ideas in the way that great books typically do.

A better question for you to be asking is how our culture in general has become so vapid? My own answer is that we've lost contact with the great questions like: what does it mean to be a human being? What is the reason for a human being to truly live and flourish and what does it take for that to happen? How can persons transcend the human condition and find ultimate purpose?

You can only get to those answers by philosophy and religion, and there's been a dearth of that kind of thinking recently. That's why our culture is vapid at least in part, and it's been that way for awhile.A cuture is always built on philosophical and religious answers.

I'm in the clergy, and I can assure you that when I answer these sorts of questions in my preaching and teaching, people simply eat it up. That's telling you they're extremely hungry. I can also tell you with certainty that our culture is struggling more now than in the 2010s. All one has to do is look at the rising rates in suicide, depression, opioid abuse, etc. today. We've also had a spike in racial hate crimes just recently, yet in 2008 we were able to celebrate the achievement of a black man attaining the presidency. Also, you would not likely have encountered the kind of abusive comment that someone made about you earlier in the thread. First of all, sorry that was said. Second, it shows you that we're not just getting more vapid and banal, but we're getting much less polite or kind. In an case, whatever you do, do not let jackasses dissuade you from serious thinking and pondering.

I suspect if you check out a book called "A Decadent Society" by Ross Douthat, you would find some interesting material. I haven't read it myself, but have learned and explored its basic premise and it's getting at the vapidity that you're noticing.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

I see you are still trying to drum up interest in your space crap. Here is a clue, no one was interested in your first sorry attempt to garner some interest and this one will not either. You must be a sad astronaut wannabe.
This is the Off Season forum OT. His topic and post is just as legitimate as any topic you start on gardening, etc. If you don't like the questions or topic, you are free to decide not to respond. If you are going to respond, please follow the rules (edits made above).

FF, now I have another book to read. As always, I enjoy your comments and perspective. Feel free to start more of those philosophical discussions (we can surely use them). More to come on your comments about today's culture (fascinating topic).
Old 09-27-2021, 03:58 AM
Dominant Buck

My own opinion about space exploration is to spend the time and money to fix what is wrong on planet earth. As far as our society turning vapid I agree that times have changed each generation. When I grew up there were limits on what the children were exposed to both in school and via the media. Today anything goes and the internet brings everything out via a simple click which the new generation is very adept at operating. When I grew up summer days were spent swimming, fishing, playing ball in the open spaces and spending time with friends. Today there is less of that and more time spent solo in front of a screen either playing games or watching TV. Less exercise and more couch time seems to be the norm these days. Mental health disorders runs rampant now or at least they are out in the open. I don't know if that type of disorder is more common now but it sure seems like it. I have seen many societal changes over my 73 years of life and some of the most dramatic came during the last 20 years. I wonder what another 20 will bring.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-27-2021 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
This is the Off Season forum OT. His topic and post is just as legitimate as any topic you start on gardening, etc. If you don't like the questions or topic, you are free to decide not to respond. If you are going to respond, please follow the rules (edits made above).

FF, now I have another book to read. As always, I enjoy your comments and perspective. Feel free to start more of those philosophical discussions (we can surely use them). More to come on your comments about today's culture (fascinating topic).
Thanks, Calhunter. One thing I might mention about that book is when he uses the term "Decadent" he doesn't mean depraved or demented, he means that we've basically become stagnant and lacking greater possibilities. On those lines, I think of a bloated culture, sort of like the French court and nobility under Louis XIV and afterward. They built a magnificent palace and so on, but the lifestyle was frivolous, burdensome on the lower classes, and completely out of touch with the struggles of common people. (Marie Antoinette allegedly saying "Let them eat cake!")

I think you could apply it to America. Take the space race. JFK said "lets put a man on the moon," and it became part of a great project that engaged us and challenged us to defeat a very evil system in the form of communism. The space race was driven by our ideals of freedom and liberty and national purpose and it helped make us great..

But what now? We don't even have a space shuttle. Aside from the internet, there hasn't been much advancement on any front. Our culture went from facing evils like Nazism or communism or racism and saying "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what can you do for your country?" to questions like "Am I a boy or a girl?" Our culture used to ask us to act like men and great men at that. Now, we ask questions that idiots ought to be able to figure out..

Douthat;s book is saying this is the kind of thing that happens in societies that reached their limits. When that happens, they lethargic and direct their energies into things that are frivolous, wasteful, etc. It describes us very well.

I don't know what the answer is, although I hope for a new Pentecost, a spirit that energize and directs us the way it did the Apostles. They conquered the Roman Empire.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 09-27-2021 at 06:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.