Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
What Books Are You Reading? >

What Books Are You Reading?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

What Books Are You Reading?

Old 08-10-2021, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default What Books Are You Reading?

Just finished Candace Owens “Blackout”. I found it a very good read. She really nails it when it comes to the Party of Slavery and their Democrat plantation.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird. My wife's favorite book and I had never read before.

Before that Nickel Boys. Fictional account based off the story of the Dozier School in Florida.

Before that Life on the Line about med school students graduating early to assist in COVID wards in the early days in NYC

Before that Project Hail Mary by the author of The Martian. Kind of a buddy story in space.

I would recommend all of them.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Currently in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

-Jake
Old 08-11-2021, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Last good one was "dark harbor" by David Hosp. Good thriller that keeps you going
Old 08-11-2021, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Finishing up the books ("One Man's Wilderness", and the next series "More Readings from One Man's Wilderness") about that old guy who moved up to the wilds of Alaska, built a log cabin, and lived off the land. It was made into a PBS special years and years ago too. I wanted to read the books to really get a solid understanding of who the guy was and what he went through, living alone in a remote part of Alaska. Fascinating story!
Old 08-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Finishing up the books ("One Man's Wilderness", and the next series "More Readings from One Man's Wilderness") about that old guy who moved up to the wilds of Alaska, built a log cabin, and lived off the land. It was made into a PBS special years and years ago too. I wanted to read the books to really get a solid understanding of who the guy was and what he went through, living alone in a remote part of Alaska. Fascinating story!
Dick Proenneke. I loved the documentary. His voice is so relaxing to me. I didn't know there was a book as well. I believe his cabin is still up there as a part of the National Park Service
Old 08-11-2021, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just picked up a copy of James Madison by Richard Brookhiser.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lonestar50 View Post
Dick Proenneke. I loved the documentary. His voice is so relaxing to me. I didn't know there was a book as well. I believe his cabin is still up there as a part of the National Park Service
That's him... Incredible story about how he got out of the Navy after WWII, migrated northward, and ended up as a diesel mechanic on Kodiak Island all through the 1950's and eventually retired and bought a piece of land on Twin Lakes area near Lake Clark National Park, and lived there with wild game, fish, and homegrown (in brief summers) vegetables.

Edit: Both books are so incredibly written, in plain English, and have this "you are there" type of feel to the whole book. You literally can't put it down and feel as if you are THERE with Dick Proenneke, hiking, exploring, hunting, fishing, etc...

Last edited by ButchA; 08-11-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The New Class War by Michael Lind.

A Thief of Time by Tony Hillerman

Not exactly reading, but perusing as I make lecture notes for a civil war course I'm teaching this fall: Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. Lee is on is way to Gettysburg.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn View Post
The New Class War by Michael Lind.

A Thief of Time by Tony Hillerman

Not exactly reading, but perusing as I make lecture notes for a civil war course I'm teaching this fall: Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. Lee is on is way to Gettysburg.
I haven’t got into the civil war history other than the regular visits to Gettysburg almost every year in school. I’m still reading about the revolution era.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.