Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
What Books Are You Reading? >

What Books Are You Reading?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

What Books Are You Reading?

Old 08-12-2021, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

I tend to hop around a bit but especially like history.

Cowboy Detective and Lone Star Cowboy by Charles Siringo (highly recommend both of these).
Lincoln and His Generals by T Harry Williams (interesting research)
George Washington's Secret Six by Brian Kilmeade & Don Yaeger (Fascinating topic)
Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rearden (WOW!!! Amazing life and adventures!)
Anything by Vince Flynn in the Mitch Rapp series (now written by Kyle Mills since Vince passed).
Old 08-13-2021, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
I havenít got into the civil war history other than the regular visits to Gettysburg almost every year in school. Iím still reading about the revolution era.
if you decided to read on the Civil War, Battle Cry is about as good as it gets. It's long, but very easy to read.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

FF, are you talking about James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom?
Old 08-13-2021, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I tend to hop around a bit but especially like history.
Seems like you enjoy military history but if you like any type of history books I suggest Boys in the Boat about the 1936 Olympic crew team. I didn't think a book about crew would be that exciting but it is honestly one of my favorite books.

Shadow Divers is another really good book about discovering a sunken U-boat off the coast of New Jersey

The Wool trilogy by Hugh Howey is great if you like apocalyptic end of the world type books

You might enjoy the Milo Weaver series by Olen Steinhauer for espionage thriller books.

Last edited by lonestar50; 08-13-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
FF, are you talking about James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom?
Yes. That's the book.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lonestar50 View Post
I suggest Boys in the Boat about the 1936 Olympic crew team. I didn't think a book about crew would be that exciting....
I'll second this. It was very good.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Recently finished Broken Horses by Brandi Carlile. Not usually one for memoirs but this one was quite good. Not just a recap of her life but goes deeper into issues like the conflict between faith and homosexuality, family, anxiety, forgiveness. I think I will read it again at some point.

Currently reading Razorblade Tears by SA Cosby. Two ex con fathers who never supported or accepted their married gay sons are out for vengeance after their sons are murdered. Violent but a page turner.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Working my way through 2 books at the same time:
Crucible of War: The Seven Years War and The Fate of Empire in British North America
by Fred Anderson
-and-
Moby Dick
by Herman Melville

Both are very good but two at a time is slow going, especially Moby Dick.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty First Century by Jessica Bruder. I enjoyed the movie so decided to check out the book.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly reading, but going back through and integrating into a class lecture: The Impending Crisis by David Potter. It's a classic on the politics that led to the Civil War.

Essentially, Potter describes how the war with Mexico brought huge amounts of territory into the nation but with no settled or recognized means of deciding whether slavery should or could be planted there. It created an unresolvable political problem that eventually fractured the system entirely in 1860. Slavery in the territories became the central issue to the point that Congressmen were exchanging blows over it and all of the votes were were being decided on North-South lines. Lincoln's election entirely on northern votes was handwriting on the wall for southerners looking to protect or enhance slavery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.