Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Name your favorite hunting song. >

Name your favorite hunting song.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Name your favorite hunting song.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Wink Name your favorite hunting song.

Mine, The Hunting Song - Tom Lehrer, 1953 (he was 25 when he recorded this number in '53, he is still alive to this day!)

Trivia Question: What are the seasons, methods of take, tag requirements, permit
requirements and bag limits for shooting game wardens, hunters, and/or cows* ( in your area?

*I once knew a man in Idaho who shot a cow in 2004 and did so lawfully with a tag.
His bagged cow wasn't a Holstein, a Jersey or any other domestic breed as a a matter of fact.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-03-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a hunting song.

But....

In 2019 my dad, an uncle, and I drove from north east Ohio to eastern Wyoming. A few days prior I had had a vasectomy done. And I was still pretty sore.

Uncle and I both work third shift so we decided to drive straight through since him and I wouldn't have any trouble driving through the night. Dad was laying down sleeping in the back of the truck.

Sometime during the night I was pretty sore between being in the truck for 18+ hours and the surgery. The only thing to give relief was holding some pressure on the groin region. This caused my uncle to recall a song I had never heard previously. And it sorta became the anthem of the trip I guess you would say .....

Plenty of laughs followed. And it wasn't the last time I had to adjust myself due to discomfort. So it was a running joke throughout the trip lol.

It's come up a few times since as well, usually while gutting a deer and singing it at the proper time.

-Jake

Old 06-03-2021, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Well one year my friend and I were driving around a section looking for turkeys to go after. I notice a Faith Hill Greatest Hits CD in his truck. I was like "Dude, seriously? Faith Hill?" He said I bet you know more of these songs than you think you do. He starts playing it and we end up blasting it out the window and singing at the top of our lungs. Anytime I hear Faith Hill it reminds me of that trip
Old 06-03-2021, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never bothered even thinking about a "hunting song." Don't even know if I have ever heard one.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

About shooting those cows in Tom's classic '50's song, I doubt it's ever legal and/or ethical to shoot a hunter or a game warden on purpose, but cows may be shot legally and ethically depending upon circumstances. I certainly would shoot no cow for sport knowing she has a calf. Here is a pic of several cows with calves.
Attached Thumbnails Name your favorite hunting song.-cows-calves.jpg  

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-03-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Sixty Days by Matthew Huff. Having spent this past duck season with an amazing group of waterfowlers, it really hits home.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 06-07-2021 at 05:32 AM.