Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Nature's Best Food? >

Nature's Best Food?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Nature's Best Food?

Old 04-15-2021, 02:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Nature's Best Food?

Time to debate nature's best food. There are a few that come to mind but top on my list are oysters. They come in their own container. They live for weeks in a cold refrigerator. You can eat them raw, steamed, grilled or baked. They occasionally produce pearls. In fact, I found two of the biggest ever in a single oyster a few months back.
What other foods offer all this?
Old 04-15-2021, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

What are the metrics we're using? Taste? Nutrition? Versatility? I've actually never had oysters so can't comment on those. Maybe it's the Irish in me but I'll say potatoes. Baked, mashed, roasted, grilled, fried. All tasty
Old 04-15-2021, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anything that does not taste like a snot you just sucking down. Preferably a creature that is not a filter feeder which is highly sensitive to water quality.

From a nutrition standpoint only...Legumes are the best. High in protein, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, folate and fiber. Very low in sugars and a large amount of the carbs are complex/fiber so they dont convert to sugars quickly. They store for years with little effort and a vacuum sealer. You can basically live off legumes for long periods if you just add some greens like collards or kale to the diet also.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Anything that does not taste like a snot you just sucking down. Preferably a creature that is not a filter feeder which is highly sensitive to water quality.
lol, there was a time when the oyster population in the Chesapeake Bay could filter the entire water in just a couple of days. I never made the connection but raw oysters taste similar to cooked shrimp.

From a potato standpoint. Used to love them. I don't turn them down but not tops on my list.

I would mention chicken. How much do we enjoy chicken? We eat the eggs, little chicken wings, parts of the chicken along with the whole bird and then turn the carcus into soup. I prefer turkey soup though.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Venison properly handled and properly cooked. There is a reason it was the meat of royalty in Europe.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a huge oyster fan really but when i do get them i get Willapa Bay oysters. Oyster stew is ok but i will take a good clam chowder or even fried clams any day over oysters. I do however love oysters in my dressing/stuffing. Loves me some taters too but from a nutritional standpoint they are not very good. For things like stew you might like replacing the tater with daikon radish. They make surprising tasty fries too. Not great but good. Very tasty when sweet pickled. Koreans eat that with fried chicken instead of coleslaw but i love good coleslaw.

When it comes to quick easy seafood. Good sardines are my weakness and its one of the healthiest/safest ocean fish you can eat.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:58 AM
Dominant Buck

you like a good clam chowder, Google Clifffs house clam chowder. The mixture of spices, bacon (I use my home smked bacon) and you control the amount of clams is awesome. We make it several times a year.
i use to have a secrete honey hole to get Cherry Stone Clams. Last time we pulled the boat up, it took three of us 20 minutes to limit out on Cherry Stones. Then we just boat around while enjoying both raw and steamed clams. That's an expensive treat if you had to buy it the store. Unfortunately, a hurricane took out the honey hole and I haven't had time to locate another one. I stumbled on this last one all because nature called. However, now I know what I'm looking for, I should be able to locate a few of them.

Sardines sandwiches go with yardwork. Something about them gives me that extra energy. Kippers on crackers topped with a good mustard. Now you're talking.

Cashews, anyone ever look up where they come from? They're like the stem on a weird apple looking fruit.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Clam chowder, steamers, deep fried? Check out the Clambake Restaurant now thatís good eats. Lobsters, shrimp, scallops are great with me as well. Then haddock, flounders and the like. Then you can have a serf and turf with any of the above to go with deer or moose meet and you will be eating natural food fit for a king.. Speaking of natural it wonít be much longer and a good feed of brook trout and fiddleheads will be on my menu.. Of course wild turkey as well. Anything that I donít need to get from the store is great natural food in my opinion. I am not a fan of oysters but they are natural and mussels are good eating as well..
Old 05-07-2021, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Counting down the days to my super spreader event in just a few weeks away. Pork, the other white meat. It's a tough call. Can you get better than home smoked bacon? What about the full hog coming off the grill being turned into a boneless pile of meat? Ribs, can anyone really claim they can cook perfect ribs? Im still trying. Have you ever been treated to fresh crackle? My mouth is watering as I type this post.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags View Post
Venison properly handled and properly cooked. There is a reason it was the meat of royalty in Europe.
I'm in this camp, with just about any fish or seafood close behind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.