Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Something that makes you go ouch! >

Something that makes you go ouch!

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Something that makes you go ouch!

Old 07-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Something that makes you go ouch!

I was at camp ( still at camp ) sawing down some trees that were dying out close to the camp. I am not sure exactly what caused it but can assume that the tree may have shifted a little. But whatever did it the chainsaw kicked back and took me in the shin. Yes I wish that I had chaps on but itís to late now. I ended up nicking my shin bone and took nineteen stitches from it. Chainsaws make ugly cuts and are not the cleanest tool to get cut by. The doc is worried about possibly getting the bone infected. I am hoping for the best and will be seeing him in the morning. I had this happen the Saturday June 27th before I started a vacation and was supposed to work that Sunday night before. Well I guess my vacation was unintentionally extended.. I am not sure how long that I will be out of work but hopefully only one more week will do it.. But yes I did say ouch and most likely a lot of other words for a moment as well. I know the chaps may look and feel like big hassle but they can save an injury like I had gotten or maybe even worse. For me chaps will be a must have..Thanks in advance everyone as the signal here is sporadic to say the least.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

well sorry to hear of your injury and glad things seem to be healing up on you

its real easy to get lazy and take for granted things will always go right
over the yrs I seen what a chain saw can do to a human, a few too many times,
(worst one was when I was a kid, I found my friends mother with her head half way cut off by one, she left 3 kids behind and they were never the same, far from a pretty sight to see!)
ever since then, I always try to gear up,when I use mine, (but do admit some days I get lazy thinking all will just be fine)
But safety chaps, safety glasses., or shield, ear protection and good fitting gloves with good gripping to them!

and one tip I always tell folks, is NEVER use one to cut anything over your head, seen way too many kick back when folks do that stuff, all the more so one handed holding a saw??
don;'t recommend being on a ladder and using one either!!

ANY how, I hope you have a speedy recovery without any problems down the road!

Old 07-08-2020, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

They usually kickback when you cut too near the tip, Keep the cut as close as possible to the motor. I've come close numerous times. Almost cut off the index finger on my left hand, dozens of micro stitches putting it back together again. Trying a cut on the backside of the chain guide is just asking for it, that is what happened to my hand.
I still have a pair of Redwing engineer boots with the top cut all the way through on my left foot, never touched the skin.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:03 AM
Fork Horn

Damn Phil ! Thats Awful ! I guess it could of been worse though . You could of done much more severe damage and it could of happened right before deer season. Hope you recover quickly without any complications.

I can definitely admit to being in the " Slacker Club " when it comes to using safety equipment when using my chain saw. Although they are all dangerous , mine is a 14 inch 40 volt battery operated saw that I use to cut wood up for the fire pit . But still have had a couple close encounters . I am now much more cautious when cutting .
Old 07-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

My grandfather was a woodsman and cut wood for a living. Yup me day he was life flighted out of the woods after taking one in the nose.

I went and had a visit with the doc today and he wants me to come back on Monday. Itís starting to get a little red and he doesnít want infection setting in. So after he showed me the X-ray I know that I most likely will be out of work for a while.. Thank you everyone..
Old 07-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last thing you needed after not being back at work all that long. Hope you heal fast. I am thinking about getting a pair of chaps, normally I am alone when cutting trees around my deer stand for shooting lanes and there are lots of dead white ash in the woods that are falling across the trail I use to get to my stand. I always take a 1st aid kit but I would refer not to have to use it.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-09-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope you mend quickly!

Some people have looked at me like Iím crazy when Iím wearing protective gear out in the heat, but I can stop and cook off any time I feel like it. Growing new limbs is a little more challenging, so Iíll stick with the PPE.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch!!! Hope you're doing better Phil.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you everyone. I have still been at camp and hardly any connection up in those woods. I finally came home and picked up a flat tire. Because of small sharp rocks from a newly grated road.

The doc has me coming back on Wednesday to check my leg again.. They took all the stitches out but have concerns where the top of it is not healing as quickly as they are hoping it will. So I am limping around and will see him then. I asked him when I could return to work and he says not next week. So I will wait and see what happens.. I was lucky to have a first aid kit at camp. We had it there mainly for our grandchildren. So you never know when one might be needed.. Yes it will be chaps for me in the future as this is a hard lesson to learn by..
Old 07-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
well sorry to hear of your injury and glad things seem to be healing up on you

its real easy to get lazy and take for granted things will always go right
over the yrs I seen what a chain saw can do to a human, a few too many times,
(worst one was when I was a kid, I found my friends mother with her head half way cut off by one, she left 3 kids behind and they were never the same, far from a pretty sight to see!)
ever since then, I always try to gear up,when I use mine, (but do admit some days I get lazy thinking all will just be fine)
But safety chaps, safety glasses., or shield, ear protection and good fitting gloves with good gripping to them!

and one tip I always tell folks, is NEVER use one to cut anything over your head, seen way too many kick back when folks do that stuff, all the more so one handed holding a saw??
don;'t recommend being on a ladder and using one either!!

ANY how, I hope you have a speedy recovery without any problems down the road!
It is my opinion that chain saws should weight at least 20# so you would not be tempted to cut above your head. Those little chain saws with the 12" bars are like toys, and that is why people get hurt with them. They have no respect for the damage that can be caused by one little mistake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.