Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Any photography fans in here? >

Any photography fans in here?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Any photography fans in here?

Old 06-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm into photography....

when I was really into it, it was the 35mm era... still have it....I hear the lens could still work with a modern body....but don't have a real need for one at the moment.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what a photographer friend of mine told me....

The old, classic, Canon AE-1 used the FD-mount system on their lenses. Today, they are totally incompatible with the modern Canon EOS mounts (Canon EF-mount). Correction... Canon did make an adapter of some type so the "old school" FD lenses could work on the Canon EOS systems, but only in full manual mode.

Nikon uses the F-mount system and has for decades and decades. Hell, it's still used right now today! You can take an "old school" 50mm F-mount lens from 1974 and put it on your new Nikon D7500 digital SLR camera, and it would still mount up and work --- but just like with Canon above, the old Nikon lenses will work in full manual mode, but they'll work. No adapter, no anything. They'll mount right up without a problem.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a semi-professional photographer as part of my job, although that entails almost exclusively drone photography, and I consider myself just within the "not incompetent" category when it comes to handheld cameras and editing. Been interested in wildlife photography for a while, but seeing how much those big zoom lenses cost has kept me mostly out of it.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you mean... Some of those massive 600mm zoom lenses that go down to like f/4.0 (aperture) cost darn near as much as a small compact car!!!

I'm happy with my "kit" that I have from Nikon.
Nikon D3500 (entry level, but still an excellent DSLR)
Nikon's 18-55mm small zoom, f/3.5-5.6 aperture.
Nikon's 70-300mm large zoom, f/4.5-6.3 aperture.
------bought separately a few weeks later-------
Nikon's 35mm prime lens, f/1.8 aperture.

Attached Thumbnails Any photography fans in here?-105004562_10158579624392072_1206870479001867302_o.jpg  

Last edited by ButchA; 07-24-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Trying to remove thumbnail...
Old 07-27-2020, 12:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Sigma lens that will zoom to 600, but not at f4. Wasn’t bad expensive but takes great wildlife pictures.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

They say a person has to get away from the 'auto' setting on a Nikon to really take good pictures. I'm trying to go with the landscape and portrait settings on my D3100.

I know that now the cameras can be focused and controlled from cell phones but I don't know if my camera is new enough to accept that function.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have the latest SnapBridge app for Nikon, it should work.

It's funny with the new Nikon D3500. My wife will go to use it and she'll REFUSE to take it off "Auto". When I use it, I play around and use Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Programmed Auto* (with the asterisk -- allows you to still make fine adjustments to the camera's programmed choosing for Aperture & Shutter).
Old 07-30-2020, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Probably 95% of my photography is done on aperture priority. Most of the rest is manual.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I stick mostly to just my garden pics. Some of the peppers are really interesting.

I grew Mammoth Sunflowers this year too. They are well over 10ft tall now.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife is into the camera stuff. It started with a Nikon DSLR kit that had a camera body and a small zoom lens. I thought the kit was sort of high priced and that would make her happy. How wrong I was. She now has two camera bodies that each have a comma in the price tag, plus an assortment of lenses that each cost much more than the camera bodies. To get the most out of the cameras it was necessary to have a good tripods and many gadgets. We do have a few framed photos on the wall of giraffe, flowers, lions, trees, etc. I would hate to figure out the price of each photo. The original DSLR kit was like a gateway drug. She enjoys it, and she puts up with me and my hobbies (she is a saint), so everyone is happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.