Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Any photography fans in here? >

Any photography fans in here?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Any photography fans in here?

Old 06-02-2020, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's some samples that I took. This is with the 18-55mm lens with the aperture at f/3.5 and I got right down close to my wife's umbrella plant (or whatever it's called). I learned how to do a close-up and have the background all blurry and the plant leaves all sharply in focus!

Now thinking about the big 70-300mm zoom lens, I went down to the James River here in Richmond, VA and wanted to try out the big lens and what it could do. I walked down (carefully!) to the edge of the river to some rock pilings and snapped these photos:

This is 70mm. Fully auto, the camera did all the work.

This is 300mm. Fully auto, the camera did all the work.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are off to a great start!

Now get yourself a copy of Adobe Lightroom and shoot in RAW, you will love the edits you can make.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... A little more update... My wife and I found a terrific YouTube video of a real pro photographer (whether contracted by Canon, Nikon, Fuji, etc... who knows), but the guy was really good! He basically held your hand, you know what I mean, and walked you through everything. Every setting. Every function. Every button. Incredible!

We recently bought the fixed "prime lens" for the Nikon. The Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G lens complete with a lens hood. The 35mm focal length is great because you can do scenic views, overall general stuff, and get way up close on f/1.8 and take an amazing photo of a subject, and the entire background will be blurry. Heck, bump up the ISO, open the f-stop wide open to f/1.8 and you could technically, take a photo indoors without even having to use a flash!
Attached Thumbnails Any photography fans in here?-2183_af-s-dx-nikkor-35mm-f-1.8g_front.png  

Last edited by ButchA; 06-17-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Which YouTube video? Some of those are extremely informative.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a Nikon DSLR (like I do), this guy has a massive, wicked long... 1 HOUR & 45 MIN video tutorial. You have to break it down in segments and watch a little, stop, watch some more, stop, etc... But the guy goes over every single button, dial, setting, and teaches you the whole DSLR camera inside and out from a pro's standpoint!

Here's an Australian guy who goes over the Canon EOS T7 DSLR camera, and is also a pro. Very informative and only 18 minutes long....

Not to get all weird or say anything I shouldn't say (or get in trouble...) but most of the YouTube videos on DSLR cameras have Indian guys on it, and like I said... Sorry... but they just have that very strong Hindu accent and makes it a little hard to understand.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I took a bunch of wedding pics with the two 1.8 lenses I mentioned earlier. Even at night under artificial, dim light, I was able to take pictures of a reception that were great with no flash.

you can also do what they call painting with light with those lenses and get great results.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G lens complete with a lens hood.
That is a great general purpose lens. I have the same one for my D5100 - which my daughter has pretty much made her own.

Heck, bump up the ISO, open the f-stop wide open to f/1.8 and you could technically, take a photo indoors without even having to use a flash!
Yep. I do this so often that it is rare now for me to use a flash.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know I have tried the RAW mode and really liked the photos. But my problem with that mode is when I try to print a photo out you to make it a jpeg photo. It appears to loose some clarity when I do that. This one is without the flash and I like the photos without the flash as well..
Attached Thumbnails Any photography fans in here?-082f32cf-3b36-4dd5-aa8a-d3b4f7daf82c.jpeg  
Old 06-22-2020, 11:47 PM
Spike

Great pictures! I wish you good luck in developing your talent.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I surprised my wife with a flowering "Trailing Vinca" plant yesterday and hung it outside by our patio on the big Shepherd's Hook hanger. I quickly went inside and grabbed my Nikon D3500 digital SLR camera with the new 35mm f/1.8G lens and took a shot of the flower pot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.