Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Got ticks?

Old 05-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got ticks?

Yeah, I know... We've all got them...

Had an an experience the other day that I've not had in 23 years at our home...

After shopping, I carried in our grocery supplies... This entailed about a 50ft walk across about 30ft of gravel, and about 20ft across concrete... I then went out to get the booze... As I did so I decided to check the status of the charge controller on the solar charger on the truck I'm not running at this point in time. While doing this I walked threw about 15 feet of lawn...

For about the next hour as I watched the news I found 9 ticks... Have never found that many ticks with so little outside exposure... I also pulled a tick off of our indoor cat two days later. Since in 23 years we've never found a tick on a cat, I can only guess that it was from the same exposure...

Anyone have any ideas why I seemed to have hit such a swarm of ticks?
Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

During the fall there had to be a spot somewhere in that 15 feet that at least one but more than likely there was 3-5 ticks laid there larvae .

They usually hatch sometime in late April to mid May. You just walked through that hot spot. We have 4 outdoor cats . I haven't seen any ticks on them at all
until this past week when I found 2. A couple years ago on one day in early May , 3 of the cats didn't have any . But on the 4th cat I found 15 ! GROSS !
He walked through one of those spots and got covered with them. I HATE FREAKIN TICKS ! All of them just got their 1st dose of Frontline after finding those 2 ticks.

Two years ago I went turkey hunting I walked through one of those spots . I was surprised that I had not seen any ticks on my cover alls. But I spray my outfits with Sawyers Permethrin.. Works like a charm . But after walking through a patch of about 50 feet of high bush blueberries I had 17 on my legs. That was one of those hatching spots. They all jumped ship after a couple minutes though. Using Permethrin , if a tick gets on your clothes for 15-20 seconds , they are neutralized and cant bite. They will also be dead within 24 hours .after falling off. The company told me that and its true. This is the same stuff they sell to the military .

Last year I tried a different brand that works just as good. Permethrin needs to be .5 percent . I bought a 32 oz bottle of water based 10 percent . I can make 4 1/2 gallons for under $25 instead of paying $15 for one 32 oz bottle of pre mixed permethrin.
There are 2 kinds of permethrin mixes. The water based is scent free when it dries. The other kind is petroleum based. You DO NOT want that one .
Old 05-29-2020, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

never ever used to have ticks here, till about 20 yrs ago, they started showing up, and every yr since then things have gotten worse and worse on there numbers
I really think it has a lot to do with weather, so many mild winters, wit so many temp swings throughout winters, going from cold to warm to back, and lots of rain!
it seems to be a breeding ground for them

I also know in winter time here as os last decade or so, it is NOT uncommon to see mosquito's flying about in these mid winter warm ups we get(temps up to 70 in dead of winter)

but the weather we have anymore, is not like we used to have IMO< far too many extreme temp swings, lack of snow and steady cold, and then super fast warm ups

all seem to have a effect on many species, I think problems like these will only get worse over time!

I know of several folks here that went to local cemetery's over the past memorial day weekend, and came home with ticks on them, which NONE of them ever had happen in the past!
times are changing folks
and let's not forget, that Mosquito's have killed more humans than anything else out there!,

sure you wonder! no??

Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

We are the same here in VT. 20 years ago we didnt have ticks. I pulled one off Mrs CI a few days ago. It was on her leg after we worked on our black berry patch pruning out old canes. We now seem to each get a few on us each year. I saw an interesting YouTube video on removing them with a wet q tip. I'll try that next time I get one that is attached.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Growing up here there never were any ticks at all. They have been getting worse than ever. Some people claim turkeys brought them here.. That I donít think so but who knows. I pulled one off me this year so far. But every spring we have yearling moose die from them. Last year we had something like 23 die from ticks during the spring.. They get on the moose by the thousands and the younger ones canít survive the amount of lost blood to the ticks. I donít know where they had came from and I wish that they would go away..
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly never get ticks, not even when I was in the infantry. Maybe I taste bad.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Bugs are funny. My wife doesn't get bit by mosquitoes and they chow down on me and leave big welts. We don't have many here probably because of the lake and continuous breezes but let one in the house and somewhere around 3 am it will find me. My hearing is shot from a lifetime of abuse but I can hear those suckers 2 rooms over in the dead of night. LOL
Old 05-31-2020, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
but let one in the house and somewhere around 3 am it will find me. My hearing is shot from a lifetime of abuse but I can hear those suckers 2 rooms over in the dead of night. LOL
The skeeters send in the drones to locate you and report back if you are armed with a can of bug killer before they come sneak in .
Old 05-31-2020, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeters seem to think I taste just fine, sadly.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I got my yearly poison ivy contact. Got a few spots on arms and face. Hate that stuff.