Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
first time for me seeing this >

first time for me seeing this

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

first time for me seeing this

Old 05-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default first time for me seeing this

so, I get a lot of bears at my property, its a very high bear area and I get to wittiness and seen them all the time all hours of day and night
this evening, I was outside doing things in the yard, and I had a young female(a 3 +yr old , seen her grow up from a cub and even seen her mate last July, very easy to ID here, she has a BIG # 11 like white marking on her!)

well she showed up carrying a cub in her mouth and a second one following her, she got to about 15 yards from me or less, and then seen me and dropped the cub, it diidn;t seem very alive! but was moving a little whil e laying where she dropped it, before she picked it up again!

she grabbed it again and started to walk away, with the cub dangling out of her mouth, he was holing it just in front of its rear leg on the side and every step she took the thing was swinging wild like, lifeless
she then continues down and dropped it and it just rolled like, a ball, then she picked it up again and carried into it the woods where I couldn;t see it any more!

a few hours later she was back and only had one cub with her, and again, she was carrying it, she had it by the nose and carrying it!
the little thing was screaming like mad, she dropped it, picked it up again, holding onto its ear, and then dropped t again, it tried to run up a tree, where she grabbed it again and had it by a leg this time
they did this grab and drop a few more time till got into a food plot where she dropped it and it just stayed by her side!

I am pretty sure the first cub got killed by her carrying it and it swinging wildly, and broke its neck
never witnessed that before I have many times seen the n carry there cubs away, but most always grabbed them in a safer location and sure didn';t drop em so much
I am guessing she is a first time mother and just doesn;'t know any better

but was pretty cool to see and sad at the same time, I might go for a walk tomorrow and see if I can find the cub, be a low odds search, I thin as so many critters here, something else might find it and carry it off or eat it??

say 6 different bears today too, so they were very active today here!

wish I would have had a camera with me to video things, but just no time to get one and I am not a guy that carries a phone all the time
I have a few trail cam's in the area, so will check them too and see if I get lucky and get any pic's of her to!

but that was a first for me to witness things as I did today!

Most all the bears I see with cubs, loose at least 1 cub before end of summer , so its not that rare, just rare to see! IMO
Old 05-06-2020, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

well checked my camera I had near where she was, and found the darn battery's died the day before, so last pic on cam was 7;34pm on the 4th, missed things by one day? ain;t that how it works??
she is a female with two cubs from last yr!

so, new batteries back in it now and will see if she comes back,
just planted a new food plot, so, soon will have more fresh feed for them too!

and I walked about for about 2 hours looking for the dead cub and or any sheds, and found nothing, I gather something carried the cub off however, as lots of critters here that would do so, over night!
so figured it was a low odds of me finding it!

but here are a few pic's any how of some bears , there here almost daily, and counted 9 different one's so far this spring!

Attached Thumbnails first time for me seeing this-244.jpg   first time for me seeing this-243.jpg   first time for me seeing this-241.jpg   first time for me seeing this-238.jpg   first time for me seeing this-162.jpg  

Old 05-06-2020, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

What county are you in mrbb if you don't mind sharing.

-Jake
Old 05-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

to be honest I'd rather not say
and not tying to be rude or?/
its just , I have too many issue's with trespassers as is!
so not trying to possibly add any more! if I can help it!.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cook pix Mrbb. Posted the pic of my frequent flier on here last week. I call him Bernie Sanders.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe the sow feels threatened by the other bears and intentionally killed her cubs? It could be she had taken them from another bear as well? I have heard that they will sometimes eat another bearís cub. Could something like this be going on? Itís hard to say why or what. But it sure sounds like she didnít want the cubs..