Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2020--What's For Dinner? >

2020--What's For Dinner?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2020--What's For Dinner?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I'm gonna grill range-fed steaks tonight but may add some "steak kabobs" for grins now.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

No time for big time cooking tonight. We had a full day of doing things here around the house. We have a lot of glass on the lake side of the house facing west. The glass on top which are architectural windows let in a lot of heat during afternoons. We tried heat film shades as a first attempt to keep the heat down. All the walk up windows have sun shades and we have a 16 foot wide awning on the deck side which does shade those windows. The windows on top needed something so we tried that heat tempering film. The windows are high and quite large so both Mrs. CI and I were up on ladders putting it up. Yup it was a pain in the ass just like I thought it would be. Got it done though and tomorrow will be in the 90's so lets hope it helps.
Quick easy dinner tonight...Marie Callender's chicken pot pies. Kind of a fall back easy to deal with, Kind of like sending out for pizza when you run out of time, Yeah I know....but I do like them. Couple of tropical rum drinks now that I am off the ladder. Going to finish the fence around the garden tomorrow then Mrs. CI, Bailey the wonder dog and I will be on the beach.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 05-26-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be curious to hear how those heat film shades work for you.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

They seem to cut the heat considerably. It is warm today but cloudy so I cant test it. Next sunny day I'll try to put a thermometer below those shaded windows and then check the sunshade ones below. The shaded windows now have a grey tint. Tonight homemade pizza on the webber. We put in a pizza stone and it works well.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

We were out and decided to patronize Chick-fil-A. Good chicken sandwich.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tomorrow I am making Barbacoa, smoked beef cheeks. Served in corn tortillas with salsa verde, red salsa,onions, cotija cheese and fresh lime juice. I will try to remember to post some photos.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dont forget to make some......... Red onions, lime juice, sugar and a good vinegar. Pinch of Mexican oregano if you got it.

1 Medium red onion sliced thin
Pinch of salt and 2 TSP of sugar to weep the onions for 15min
1/8 Cup Acetum brand organic cider vinegar
3/8 Cup fresh squeezed lime juice
Pinch of Mexican oregano
Mix with fresh chopped cilantro or culantro just before serving (optional)

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-31-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 View Post
Dont forget to make some......... Red onions, lime juice, sugar and a good vinegar. Pinch of Mexican oregano if you got it.

1 Medium red onion sliced thin
Pinch of salt and 2 TSP of sugar to weep the onions for 15min
1/8 Cup Acetum brand organic cider vinegar
3/8 Cup fresh squeezed lime juice
Pinch of Mexican oregano
Mix with fresh chopped cilantro or culantro just before serving (optional)
Thanks for the recipe, It is in the smoker and will be done around 5pm. I have some pics to post.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Potato salad and fried walleye fillets. Hersheys cookies and cream ice cream for desert
Old 06-01-2020, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Barbacoa for dinner last night, pictures

Put it on the smoke at around 9am after I trimmed a lot of fat from the outside and put a moderate amount of Meat Church's Holy Cow beef rub on it as per the recipe. Smoked it at 270 degrees for a little over 2 hours, then took it out and put it in a foil pan and poured my brazing liquid of a head of rough chopped garlic and a diced onion and beef broth over it and put it back in the smoker for 4 1/2 more hours. Served on corn tortillas with choice red salsa and or verde, diced onions, chopped parsley(I do not like cilantro) and cotija cheese and limes for squeezing juice over the top and re fried black beans. The meat was a little more chewy than I would have liked but it was moist and very tasty. It was extremely windy for most of the smoke and I should have been able to set the smoker and forget it but because of the wind I had to spend more time than I would have liked adjusting the smoker temp. I hate to smoke on a windy day. GM I did not have time to go to the store and buy red onions and other ingredients for the pickled onions but I will try them.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-01-2020 at 05:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.