Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Torn/Ruptured Achilles Tendon >

Torn/Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Torn/Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Old 12-16-2019, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag View Post
That doesn't sound good for me. I will turkey hunt somehow even if I have to crawl off my atv. Thanks
Like mentioned, boots with a higher heel helped me. I actually had the Cobbler add half an inch to my hunting boot heals. Climbing boots with really good ankle support also helped. BUT then you have to do therapy to help stretch that tendon or the mobility deteriorates. If you give into the pain, my experience is your mobility gradually diminishes. A hot tub also helps. it really loosens things up so you can stretch easier with less pain.
Six months after my injury, after three months in a cast, I was doing some lite hiking. A year after I was backpacking with a 45-pound pack. I was still in recovery, hurt like the dickens. At a year and a half, I could run some.
Good luck.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Mudder, hate to keep bugging you but I want to be after stuff as soon as possible. When you say climbing boots, do you mean the boots used by loggers and linemen? Thanks
Old 12-18-2019, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag View Post
Mudder, hate to keep bugging you but I want to be after stuff as soon as possible. When you say climbing boots, do you mean the boots used by loggers and linemen? Thanks
Climbing boots (old school) have stiffer uppers and stiffer soles than hiking boots. I used Miendl Perfekt mountain boots, those suckers are heavy but have a lot of support and the inner linings are great... I've since changed to a lighter boot, but I do a lot less uphill and downhill hiking than I used to. Since my ankle break and Achilles tear, I take a lot better care of my feet. My boots are pricey, my feet are worth it.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Update: Surgery tomorrow at noon. Glad to get it and get started back to some level of normalcy.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck Red hoping it all goes well and the doctors can fix what they need to.

-Jake
Old 12-23-2019, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck on the surgery redmag. Prayers on the way.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I'd like to know where to post my experience with the ruptured tendon for the benefit of anyone else that may have the misfortune of rupturing it. Mudder seems to be the only guy with real experience and I appreciate his input. Lot of bb guys but not hunter related.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Right here in the Off Season is fine. We don't really have a health, training or medical forum.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

While I never really had that happen to me. I did rip a bunch of tendons in my left ankle one year. It happened in a forklift accident. I was in a little one and a big one nailed me. I ended up in an ankle brace for six weeks hobbling around. Even today sometimes my ankle will lock up on me and when it does it hurts like crazy. I know if I was you I wouldn’t be rushing things. I would want it to heal up right. I guess the best advice I can give is to follow what your doctor suggests. Best of luck on your recovery..