Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Age or injuries takes away many hobbies >

Age or injuries takes away many hobbies

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Age or injuries takes away many hobbies

Old 08-29-2020, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a litany of old injuries. One of the more uncomfortable was a shattered tibia. I spent months in the hospital with an external cage on my lower leg. I ended up with fewer bones near my ankle than normal, some fused while healing. The more painful part was when some bone near my ankle wanted to grow closed over a major nerve path. I have to say, though it took many years, it eventually healed pretty darned well. I do have a bit of diminished mobility. The VA doesn't do everything well but they do have some of the best Orthopedic surgeons in the world. I'm amazed at what they accomplished. They did get me hooked on some sort of Opium derivative, detoxing was really interesting, it kind of reminded me of a bought of Malaria. For the last fifty years, I've refused any sort of Opiate no matter how bad the injury.
I actually added a hobby because of the injury, long walks in the hills with a 45-pound rucksack was part of my rehab. Jack Daniels and Ganja to help with the pain.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-29-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

No real major injuries (thank God), but my right shoulder does "get weird" every now and then and stiffen up on me (onset of shoulder arthritis at age 59?). I no longer run the annual 10k (6.2 miles) road race in town, as I just can't keep that pace (10k in just under an hour) like I used to. I can easily do a 5k (3.1 miles) and don't have a problem at all, but lately, that's about my limit.

Regarding hunting, I no longer bowhunt (mainly out of raging paranoia with treestands). About 10 years ago or later, I was up in a tree using my Summit climber. Everything was fine, you know? No big deal... I'm just chillin' and staying silent waiting patiently for a deer to cruise by. Then all of the sudden (for reasons I still can't explain), the foot platform gave way! Thank God I had it fastened with the tether strap!
I had a hell of a time, retrieving it back up and back into position! Once back in position, with me turned around facing the tree, standing on the foot platform, I went to put some weight on the seat platform and it let go and slid down about 3"!!!
I said to myself, "This is NOT my day... forget this garbage..." and used whatever muscle power I had, and went back up the tree a little ways, got my bow off the hanger, my binoculars off the hanger, etc... lowered the bow down to the ground by the long cord that I always carried. Then, I gathered up all my gear, very carefully scaled back down the tree in the Summit climber, and said "NEVER AGAIN'...
I sold the treestand with a week or two and only hunt from the ground. If God wanted me up in a tree, He would have transformed me into a monkey....

Old 08-29-2020, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do now. Just had this operation in July (Cerebral Myopathy). 70% compressed spinal column. Still off work with physio not starting for another month. Can`t drive. Just managed to button a shirt today for the first time. Right arm is useless but luckily I am left handed. Couldn`t even feed myself the first week with two weeks in hospital.

So I`m thinking hunting season is out this year. First time in 45years.

Ron
Old 08-29-2020, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rbduck View Post
I do now. Just had this operation in July (Cerebral Myopathy). 70% compressed spinal column. Still off work with physio not starting for another month. Can`t drive. Just managed to button a shirt today for the first time. Right arm is useless but luckily I am left handed. Couldn`t even feed myself the first week with two weeks in hospital.

Ron
Going to say a few prayers for a complete recovery for you Ron. There is always next year for hunting. Stay safe .
Old 09-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rbduck View Post

Ron
Just got my two month follow up evaluation (including X-rays).on operation. Finally got to see what they did

Doc was quite impressed with my progress. After two months I can finally drive, even said I was good to go hunting. Hitting the field tomorrow.

Ron

Last edited by rbduck; 09-12-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Way to go rb!

JW
Old 09-14-2020, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

@ rbduck. You look like you were in the movie Matrix.