Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Unusual Encounter

Old 11-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

-Jake
Old 11-03-2019, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
At the height of the rabies epidemic...some years back --- Which was caused by some coon hunters, who illegally shipped a horde of wild raccoons to Maryland and released them (some of them rabies infected) in Green Ridge State Forest - Allegany County, Maryland.

I wasn't aware that the raccoons native to Maryland were tame.

C. Davis
Old 11-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by C. Davis View Post
I wasn't aware that the raccoons native to Maryland were tame.

C. Davis
I heard that the coons involved were captured wild in Alabama and shipped to Allegany County, Maryland by the coonhunters.

Of course...it took some time (about 10 years???) for the rabies epidemic to spread in Central Maryland.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigfoot is real! We had a hunt years back with members of this forum. Great success.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter View Post
Bigfoot is real! We had a hunt years back with members of this forum. Great success.
That was back when people here still had a sense of humor.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

There's a couple of reasons why I prefer keeping keeping the base of my long pants tucked inside my 17 inch high snake boots.

Besides tick protection...It's preventing field mice the opportunity to scoot-up inside my pants leg; and bees for the same reason.

One day, my survey party chief and I were surveying in a field, when I saw my party chief drop his long pants to keep a deer mouse from crawling up to his crotch. Another surveyor in our field department had to squash a field mouse with his hand, that was inside his pants; which was only 6 inches away from reaching his crotch.

The last time I didn't have my pants tucked in my boots while surveying:

While surveying in the woods...I had to quickly drop my long pants, because I stepped on a underground yellowjackets nest; that had a few of them fly up inside my pants and proceeded to sting me.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-06-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 11-06-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

I caught a bee up my shorts while on a motorcycle. Managed to smash it with my thumb and finger before getting stung.

And I've also had a mouse in my pants. He got squished. Some things are a squish now and ask questions later situation. Generally anything going in my pants without permission falls into that category.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

While I was cutting line on a survey crew through a forest one year (I've been surveying for 45 years), I was stung three times by yellowjackets, when I stepped on there underground nest. While running away from the nest, I used my camo boonie hat to try to fend them off.

Five minutes later, while I was calming down from the stings...my party chief walked over to me and ask me how I was doing --- In the meantime, I lifted off the boonie hat from my head --- an low and behold --- a yellow jacket flew out from under my hat and stung my party chief.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure allot of people wish they could have a bee sting their boss on command.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Dominant Buck

When I was a kid we didn't have a clothes dryer. All laundry was hung outside to dry on a clothes line. One day I needed a quick pair of pants and grabbed a pair of jeans off the line and ran to the garage to change. Got them on my legs and pulled up and then felt the repeated stinging. I guess a wasp was inside the crotch and when I pulled them on it woke up with painful results.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service