Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Wolf Identification

Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many of the coyotes on the east coast have some wolf DNA, that is why ours are bigger than the western coyotes. However, no matter how big they are, they are coyotes.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:45 AM
Spike

Thanks for the opinions guys very much appreciated, I personally still think it's a wolf, my neighbor, the one that I mentioned that saw it that night, well there from up north and saw wolves all the time, they know a wolf when they see one. But again it could possibly be a coyote, yesterday i walked around a muddy spot near my house and it was loaded with coyote tracks, the ones that are approximately 2.5 '' in size, but the other ones I saw which i'm 100% sure that they were from the coyote/wolf in the picture are 4 1/4 inches in size. Thats why I immediately thought that there was no way it was a coyote as they don't get that big around here. Well let me know what you guys think, it will be very much appreciated, we have a lot of children in the neighborhood and just thought it would be nice to know the species/kind of animal it was. Oh and i almost forgot yesterday when i was out looking around i saw some fresh tracks of it. It seems to be lingering around.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Tracker22 View Post
Thanks for the opinions guys very much appreciated, I personally still think it's a wolf, my neighbor, the one that I mentioned that saw it that night, well there from up north and saw wolves all the time, they know a wolf when they see one. But again it could possibly be a coyote, yesterday i walked around a muddy spot near my house and it was loaded with coyote tracks, the ones that are approximately 2.5 '' in size, but the other ones I saw which i'm 100% sure that they were from the coyote/wolf in the picture are 4 1/4 inches in size. Thats why I immediately thought that there was no way it was a coyote as they don't get that big around here. Well let me know what you guys think, it will be very much appreciated, we have a lot of children in the neighborhood and just thought it would be nice to know the species/kind of animal it was. Oh and i almost forgot yesterday when i was out looking around i saw some fresh tracks of it. It seems to be lingering around.

It is a stinking coyote!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:00 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=Oldtimr;4362279]It is a stinking coyote![/QU

Thanks, it might be a coyote but then why are it's tracks so big. Do they get that big, 4 1/4" is a pretty big track to me.

Anyway I suppose I will never be 100% sure.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have seen some really big yotes and never saw a track even close to 4 1/4 inches. If the track is really that large I would say it belonged either to a wolf or a very large domestic dog. Looking at the picture you had on post 1 no way that animal had 4 1/4 inch tracks it just wasn't large enough due to the size as compared to the cinder block which normally is 8 X 8 X 16 inches. That picture looks like a large coyote with a total height of around 24"

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-09-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutely right! The only way those tracks could be anywhere that big is if they were in mud or old snow.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen some coyote tracks almost that big here. But those come from our larger hybrids. Those coyotes have gotten close to eighty pounds in which they estimated was around 80 percent wolve. But like others are saying the one in the picture is to small and looks like a coyote to me.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Spike

Thanks guys, it's probably just a coyote then but i still think there's a possibility that it may be a wolf, also that cinder block is one if those smaller ones, i think it measures 6'' or so. But regardless, unless i get another photo of him, i won't know for sure.

Oh and im getting another trail cam just to put around, hopefully catch some more deer and such with it, do you guys know of any good cams for under $100 CAD, i love the Moultrie M50i i have currently, but it's a $200 camera and thats a bit over my budget right now. I just bought a Wildgame Innovations cam, everything was perfect on it, but the delay/ recovery speed only had a minimum setting of 15 sec. That just doesn't work for me.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

That looks like one big, fat "coywolf (sometimes called woyote").

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

Last edited by Erno86; 10-10-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

When I hunted the Dryden area of Ontario I saw hundreds of wolf tracks everywhere I hunted. The OP is about 20 hours drive from Dryden but it is possible that they might have some wolves there. The one live one I saw looked about 3' high at the shoulder and was silent in the woods when it ran from me. By the looks of the tracks everywhere I am sure many were near me and they saw me but I wasn't lucky enough to see them. The one I saw was a magnificent creature. Looking at the OP picture and the size of the legs as opposed to the holes in the block tell me that animal is small.