Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

That Remorseful Day

Old 09-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default That Remorseful Day

I had to go away on a business trip (some place a few hours to the East) for a few days and came in through D.C. today. It was very strange landing in Dulles on September 11th. I was here eighteen years ago also and I will never forget how odd the area looked with nothing else flying but the fighter aircraft overhead. Today was fairly somber, people seemed to be much more quiet and reserved than normal, all of the flags are at half mast, and passenger planes are in the air,

Note: The title of this thread is a direct rip-off of a Colin Dexter novel. Please don't report me to the Internet Authorities.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 09-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes it was a sobering day for sure. Seeing nothing but military jets in the air even up here in Vermont was very strange. I was working at our Verizon Vermont HQ and watched the aftermath of the first plane strike on the VP's TV. She was in New York City and called in from her hotel with an unobstructed view of the towers. It was really shocking to see that second plane crash into the second tower. Needless to say no corporate work was done that day.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was enraged watching those poor people jumping out of the windows above the fire trying to escape the flames.

All I have to say is the Afganies should be glad I wasn't president. I would have turned half the country into a glass covered parking lot interspaced with craters.

Really the only way to put a stop to all the BS is shock and awe. Playing the game by their rules hasn't really settled anything since it became doctrine after WW II. Limited response IMO is a total failure as a strategic doctrine.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I am not sure even shock and awe would deter them. They think nothing of strapping on an explosive vest and detonating in the middle of a bunch of innocent people. I doubt that human life, even their own, means anything to those animals.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

True. Best you can hope for is to thin out the pool of potential bombers.