Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Yesterday was a sad day >

Yesterday was a sad day

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Yesterday was a sad day

Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Yesterday was a sad day

Yesterday in the early afternoon my favorite cousin's wife called my cell frantically and said her husband went fishing to his usual place near their camp here on the Island and wasn't in his boat. Mrs. CI and I ran down to our dock and lowered our go fast family boat into the water and made a high speed run the 5 miles to where his boat was seen. When we arrived we could see his fishing boat anchored in a spot he always liked to fish for pan fish. He wasn't in the boat and we could see his rod was gone and the fish finder was broken off the gunnel mount and hanging into the water. It was clear he wasn't in the boat and had gone into the water. 911 was called and soon there was a whole flotilla of police and rescue boats as well as helicopters and fixed wing aircraft from the border patrol since we were very close to the border. We aren't sure what went wrong but the state police dive team recovered his body just before sunset last night. I spent all afternoon scouring the area in a friends professional bass fishing boat using advanced electronics to try and locate him to no avail. He was my first cousin and I always considered him a brother since we were young kids. He served 42 years with an early tour in Viet Nam followed up with some Middle East time in the military. His last 10 years during the Iraq conflict he refused to retire until all the activated troops returned to Vermont. The last 10 years of his service he was the Command Sargent Major working directly under 2 different Vermont State Adjutant Generals. Mickey....., best friend, cousin and wonderful person...RIP.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-21-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Very sorry to hear this CI

-Jake
Old 08-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Yesterday in the early afternoon my favorite cousin's wife called my cell frantically and said her husband went fishing to his usual place near their camp here on the Island and wasn't in his boat. Mrs. CI and I ran down to our dock and lowered our go fast family boat into the water and made a high speed run the 5 miles to where his boat was seen. When we arrived we could see his fishing boat anchored in a spot he always liked to fish for pan fish. He wasn't in the boat and we could see his rod was gone and the fish finder was broken off the gunnel mount and hanging into the water. It was clear he wasn't in the boat and had gone into the water. 911 was called and soon there was a whole flotilla of police and rescue boats as well as helicopters and fixed wing aircraft from the border patrol since we were very close to the border. We aren't sure what went wrong but the state police dive team recovered his body just before sunset last night. I spent all afternoon scouring the area in a friends professional bass fishing boat using advanced electronics to try and locate him to no avail. He was my first cousin and I always considered him a brother since we were young kids. He served 42 years with an early tour in Viet Nam followed up with some Middle East time in the military. His last 10 years during the Iraq conflict he refused to retire until all the activated troops returned to Vermont. The last 10 years of his service he was the Command Sargent Major working directly under 2 different Vermont State Adjutant Generals. Mickey....., best friend, cousin and wonderful person...RIP.
Sorry for your loss CI.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm very sorry for your loss CI. May your cousin RIP. Please let me know if you would like this topic moved to the Member Memorials.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks but he wasnt someone who was a member. I was just sharing a personal tragedy with some of my friends here on hni.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry for your loss CI ...

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-22-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to hear about this
and condolences to his family
I know its never easy to loose a loved one,

but maybe some nicer thoughts about he got to go doing something he enjoyed, , which doesn't always happen
sad for sure no matter what, NO good way to go I guess!
but I do think there is some peace some times thinking this way ?
Old 08-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Wow! Command Sargent Major! Very sorry for your loss. The country has lost a hero.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

God rest his soul, if it was his time at least he was doing what he loved when the maker called, RIP and forever grateful for his service! sorry for your loss CI.
RR
Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss CI.
PRAYERS for you and the family

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.