Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Yesterday was a sad day >

Yesterday was a sad day

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Yesterday was a sad day

Old 08-23-2019, 03:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by EShoreMD View Post
Wow! Command Sargent Major! Very sorry for your loss. The country has lost a hero.
Yes he was a hero in many ways. He held that position over 10 years under 2 different AG's which is rare. The new general normally brings in their own. I remember a letter I got from him 50 someodd years ago after his first night in Vietnam. They got mortared and one landed on the hooch nearby and a fellow soldier died. The letter I got a few weeks later said I probably wont be coming home
He made it and during the different middle east conflicts he and the general always visited the troops activated. Sadly he personally attended over 20 funerals and was often on the initial notification team. He said those drives in a military staff car down a country driveway were sobering knowing when the people saw who they were would be the worst day ever for those people. When the last soldier activated returned home he retired and fished with me almost every day especially ice season. The brothers in arms song reminds me of him.
Attached Thumbnails Yesterday was a sad day-67c5264f80753a0d96a917ce2017ba4c.jpg  

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-23-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh man... So sad to hear of your loss, CI. Your cousin wasn't just a regular family member - he a real true hero! May be rest in peace...
Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thoughts and prayers for you and yours, CI.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Been a tough couple of days but the wake is scheduled for tomorrow and funeral to follow on Monday. The whole family and community at large is still in shock since he was such a well known and respectend person. I have been asked to be one of his bearers. It would be my profound privilege to help to carry him home. I understand that there will be a reception following the funeral at our state military HQ.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Condolences to you and the family CI.

Godspeed and Fair Winds CSM. RIP.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Condolences to you and all who knew a great man!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Well we survived the wake/ showing day. It was from 1 to 4 PM and when I got there around 12:45 there was a line of people waiting to enter the funeral place that extended down the street and around the corner. We cut the line since we were family and watched as the people came all afternoon. I checked several times and the line extended 200 yds out the door. We left at 4 and there were still several hundred people waiting to go in and pay their respects. I know the funeral parlor manager and he said in his 35 years running that big place he never saw a crowd like this. Was a great tribute to a well known and respected person. I can't imagine how the actual funeral will go,
Old 08-25-2019, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck tomorrow CI. Stay strong.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Well my Cousin is finally at rest. It was an epic day with what has to be the largest funeral I'll ever attend. The funeral home thought somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 to 1500 people came out for the viewing which was contracted to last from 1 to 4 yesterday and lasted until around 7:30 PM. People by the hundreds kept coming so they stayed late. The funeral parlor said it most likely was the largest they had done. This morning I went to the funeral home and stayed with the family until it was time to take Mickey to the church. The procession was very long and I was surprised to see 3 state trooper vehicles show up. They ran up ahead lights going and sirens blasting while they blocked off intersections and then jack rabbited on to the next one. Since it was a big time military funeral the procession was allowed to enter and pass through the gated and fenced 1 mile square restricted space that houses our state military headquarters complex. In the old days before 9/11 there was a shortcut through that land to connect 2 towns and save about 10 minutes of traffic. It had been years since I was allowed in there but as soon as we got through the guarded gate we saw rows upon rows of soldiers all dressed in their work clothes standing at parade rest along the road. As the procession approached you could hear a ready command ring out and they all simultaneously came to attention and then made a slow and perfectly co-ordinated salute as we passed. It was very moving and emotional. When we got to the church the parking lot was totally full and cars were parked along the road leading up to the church. There wasn't even close to enough room to allow all the people to sit or stand in the isles at the church. In order to allow more family members room the 8 pallbearers agreed to remain just outside the entrance after bringing the casket down to the alter which was fine for me since it was very hot in the church with so many people. After the service the funeral procession made its was to the cemetery which was in another town about 20 minutes away. Now there were 4 state police cars as well as some local and municipal patrol cars from the different towns we passed through. We finally got to the cemetery and there close to the grave site was a whole area with staffed federal, state and military battle flags and the main one at the entrance was at half staff. There was a military color guard some of which had on the chromed helmets and full military dress. There were 7 members of the combat mountain group which eventually did the 21 gun salute as well as the soldier who played taps. The bearers carried the casket to the grave site and then the priest did all the burial prayers. The color guard stood frozen at attention with what seemed a few minutes. In the distance I could hear the unmistakable sound of an incoming helicopter. Soon a UH-60 Blackhawk appeared very low level over the trees at the edge of the graveyard and slowly made its way over our heads as a military tribute. The 21 gun salute was done then taps and we were off headed back to that restricted army base where they had a very big catered event inside the HQ conference center. There were several hundred people there and guest speakers included the 2 previous AG's who Mickey worked for as State Command Sergeant Major over more than a 10 year time frame. One was a 3 star general and the other two star. The 3 star, Martha Rainville was given the flag so she could present it to Mickey's wife. In addition the 2 latest CSM's talked about how Mickey defined their jobs and helped to get them up to speed when he retired. After retirement Mickey was still connected to the organization as the facilitator for the gold star program he helped start which helps the families of fallen soldiers within the state. I was in awe with all the respect he received with a common theme that he never sought it out. That respect was just given by all the people he influenced or helped. Mickey... may fair winds and calm seas prevail until we meet again.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-26-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, what a send off. RIP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.