Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Barber prices

Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default Barber prices

What do y'all pay at the barber?

I guess I was spoiled. I've been using the same barber for my whole life. Even when I moved away for a few years and the years I was in college I always made sure to plan time for a haircut when I came home.

Well, he finally retired at 88 years young.

So I've been seriously under paying for haircuts for a long time I guess. You can imagine my surprise, when I'm used to paying $8 and just giving him a $10, when the new barber told me $24.

I went to a few different places the last few months paying $19, and $14 the last two times, but that guy left long hairs both times.

Still, at $14 for the hair cut plus a couple dollar tip it's nearing $20 for a basic hair cut.

Am I being cheap and unrealistic. Is $20 the going rate for a basic high and tight hair cut these days?

-Jake
Old 08-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post

Am I being cheap and unrealistic?

-Jake
I won't pay over $14 for a haircut-before tip. Hope that makes you feel better. Perhaps I'm spoiled in that area, too. Little bit cheaper here than up north, maybe.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I was quite unhappy when they said $24. Lesson learned for not asking before.

I literally said "$24, for what? All I got was a haircut."

He said $20 for the haircut $4 for the neck trim.

It was one of those fancy like places that you see the fake lumberjack looking guys go to.

No more of those. I just want a good old hometown barber. But there seems to be few options around me.

i guess those guys feel better about themselves the more they pay.
-Jake
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to be in the White House Honor Guard under President Carter..and I get those kind of hair cuts...white walls with a straight razor..I downloaded a picture of the hair cut I want and take it to my barber...She does a great job for 14.00 I leave her a 20.00 Plus it's nice for hunting..cool ..makes me look a little younger LOL last about a month,,
Old 08-04-2019, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boca, I pay $12.00, $14.00 with the tip. $24.00 is outrageous for a normal man's haircut.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

$23 for me at a barbershop. I can go to one of those cheaper places like supercuts but then you get what you pay for and they're not a barber shop.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I've also always used the same two barbers. The older of the two would come to my great grandparents house to cut my great grandpas hair when he was in bad health but wouldnt take a dime for it. I've never payed over 11 bucks for a cut of course he or his business partner gets a tip as well.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by elkman30 View Post
$23 for me at a barbershop. I can go to one of those cheaper places like supercuts but then you get what you pay for and they're not a barber shop.
I have been using the same barber since she got out of barber school and got her license, she started out in another shop and eventually opened her own shop with 4 chairs and took all her customers with her because she cuts your hair the way you want it, not the way she wants it or just cuts it to get it done. I have no idea what other shops charge because I haven been in another shop for over 30 year but I would shave my head before I paid $23 or $24 for a haircut!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

He must have much nicer hair than I do.

Well, it costs more anyway!

I can't bring myself to pay that much. And I didn't like the shop anyway. Like I said it was a bunch of those fake lumberjack looking guys. Not my crowd.

-Jake
Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cost at a barber shop? I don't know. All my haircuts are FREE!

My wife has been cutting my hair for well over 30 years. Honest, back in my USCG days while living in military housing, my wife was real good friends with another military wife. This other military wife was an actual beautician and went to one of those schools or whatever. Word has it she gave it up after she married Steve (a buddy of mine), settled down, had kids, etc... Anyway to make a long story short, she personally taught only 1 or 2 other military wives how to properly cut hair (my wife being one of them) and carefully watched a few times as my own wife cut my hair (sort of OJT - on the job training). She quickly got the hang of it, and like I said, my wife has been cutting my hair for well over 30 years now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.