Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Hybrid car batteries - hybrid car advice >

Hybrid car batteries - hybrid car advice

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Hybrid car batteries - hybrid car advice

Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hybrid car batteries - hybrid car advice

This past weekend, I had a painful visit to a dealership. The "high voltage battery" in one of our cars popped a Check Hybrid System warning. That usually means one thing...time to replace the battery. It was 9yrs old, which is close to the expected 10yr life span. The battery alone was $4,400. thankfully, the dealer gave us a discount on the labor.

If you're thinking about a hybrid, or already own one, put way $400-500 per year. When the "big battery" goes out between 8-10yrs, you'll have a chunk of cash for the new battery. Once the big battery dies, your vehicle will have very little resale value w/o replacing it. Many smaller garages will not service hybrid batteries. Because of the lithium, they are a type of hazardous material/waste that incurs handling costs.

Hybrids have fantastic mileage, but some of the savings you get at the pump are just a delayed expense that will come due later.

PS...I miss my Dodge Dakota

Last edited by JoeA; 07-16-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would not own a battery powered vehicle. In my never to be humble opinion, batteries are for starting internal combustion engines of cars and trucks, not making them go! I do not want to drive a glorified golf cart. For those who don't mind, more power to them, I grew up in the time of muscle cars, and I like to hear my engine rumble. If I wanted silence, I would walk.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Plenty of hidden down the road costs with some of the newer technology. I have a friend who got a ford EcoBoost engine in his truck. He paid about 1400 more for that engine over the stock 5.0 liter v8. At 80000 miles the truck died and the dealership said both turbos were shot along with the timing chain. Quote was 4800 bucks and I guess that problem is fairly common with medium mileage ecoboost engines.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Very dirty technology. Useless on any trip if long distance. You're in HI joe, folks in the midwest discovered this past year just how poorly they performed in cold weather.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a difference between hybrid and battery cars. Hybrib works off gas but battery "helps". I had a civic hybrid that I put 120K miles on for about 10 years, gave it to my son who ran it for a year or so, then the battery needed work. It paid it's dues and was "retired" at about 150K miles. Was $2500 to replace battery and that was beyond the trade in value so it wasn't fixed.