Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Painting utility trailer >

Painting utility trailer

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Painting utility trailer

Old 06-02-2019, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default Painting utility trailer

I have a small utility trailer. Metal frame with wooden deck and sidewalls.

It's got some rust starting on the fenders and under the deck so I want to paint it. I've got to get new tires on it, so I figure I'll grease the wheel bearings and paint it while I have it up on Jack stands.

I'm not a painter.

I know Rust-Oleum is a popular choice, but what all do I need to do? I'm planning on pressure washing everything, then taking a wire wheel, wire brush and sand paper to all the old paint and exposed metal.

What do I do then and what should I buy? I know nothing about paints/primers etc. I don't mind using a brush, that'll come out better than spray I assume.

​​​​​​

-Jake
Old 06-02-2019, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I did mine a few times. Best to get all the loose rust off and I used rustoleum. Wished I had bought an aluminum one now though.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:47 AM
Spike

Recommend treating the rust areas with any one of the many rust treatment products containing phosphoric acid.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO< if you want to do it RIGHT,
get some info on POR-15,
when used and done right, it will add a LOT of yrs to your trailer, check out ebay for deals on it too, and only BUY what you need! its a 100 times better that any rattle can paint you will find!
2 coats min and DO the prep work as instructed!
this stuff dry's like powder coating and is super durable and will STOP more rust from developing!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 PM
Spike

I remember the troubles I had painting my trailer for my RV. Just like you, I ain't no painter, but somehow it worked pretty well.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

For stuff like that I use Hammerit. Two reasons, it lasts and second it needs less prep work than many other paints, just lnock the loose stuff off with a wire wheel and paint over the surface rust. If the metal is galvanized use the nonferrous and galvanized primer first. It is a little hard to work with, not like regular paint. You lay a coat on with a brush and don't try multiple strokes, the less you mess with it after application the better the results. If you need it use another coat. I've had better results with their flat or matt paint, dries faster and lasts as well as the shiny stuff. If you can get it the original formula is better, but the newer water based stuff is still way superior to Rustolium for longevity. I used the flat black (after the special primer) on my rusty chrome tow hooks, it's been on there for fifteen years and still looks good, even with some hard use. I painted my galvanized garden shed 25 years ago, the paint is still there.
Old formula Rustolium can also be good, I use a first coat of Rusty metal primer, then a gloss coat. The down side is it takes days to cure, months to really cure. I have no experience with the newer water-based Rustoleum.

I've never used Por 15, sounds promising, but I usually stick with what I know.

I'm not much on a perfect finish anymore, especially utility stuff, The object is how long it lasts. They have wire wheels for angle grinders, that is just what the doctor ordered for removing old stuff, much quicker than a drill and a wire wheel, a little on the raw side but it makes a good surface for the paint to stick. Eye protection and thick clothing are required, if a wire comes off the wire wheel on an angle grinder it comes off with a lot more velocity and force than a drill.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-03-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

I've got a big grinder.

I'll look into these options and see what I can get locally. I don't want to have to order stuff online.

Looks aren't important, just a good tough coat on the metal.

-jake
Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by seniorcitizen View Post
Recommend treating the rust areas with any one of the many rust treatment products containing phosphoric acid.
I think one brand name is Ospho or something like that. The stuff really does work! Just get off as much rust as you can then treat the entire trailer, let dry a couple of days and then paint.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by thundermug View Post
I think one brand name is Ospho or something like that. The stuff really does work! Just get off as much rust as you can then treat the entire trailer, let dry a couple of days and then paint.
Thanks thunder. And I've now thought of a product brand I've used - Jasco.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

POR 15 had been around a LONG time, long time proven to work, from high end restores on classic cars to tractors and trucks and what ever,
LOTS of others have copied and tried to be the same, but FEW I have seen hold up as well!

here is an example that sold me, if you care to hear it

I was re doing a rusty frame on an atv, and when I was all done, I happened to have a old shovel hanging near by,
I simply sprayed the shovel down with there de greaser , washed off, let dry then did the metal prep spray, didn;t have much left so didn;t get much on it!
, washed off, let dry in the sun about 20 minutes and painted HALF of it!
it was rather rust shovel!

over that summer, I shoveled about 40 ton of 2 B gravel, filling a small trailer to haul to a spot I couldn;t get larger things to!
at the end of the summer, after all that gravel, the paint on it, still looked almost new!, NO rust coming thru, NO wear and tear from all that gravel being shoveled with it!

shovel hung up outside for 3 more yrs and still looked good, but then a buddy backed over it with his truck????#$$%%??
and he took it home to throw it away without telling me<
or I would have still had it to see how long it lasted!
but after 3 yrs of being outside 24/7 in all weather, before he ran it over, it was still rust free where painted with por 15!

the stuff is crazy strong, I again, have nothing to gain by saying this,
I just know it works and works VERY well
way better than anything Rustolium ever made period!