Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Baseball Anybody?

Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Baseball Anybody?

I'm not a big fan of baseball on TV but have been following Vandy when I can because a kid on the team went to school with my son. They played all four years and more on the same football team. We will see if he gets picked high enough in the draft this year to make baseball worth it. Last year he was picked in the 14th round and the money just isn't there plus he was going to finish his degree. However, up popped the projections for the top picks in the draft and one of his teammates is projected to go at #4 to the Marlins. What was noticable in the college draft projects, there was no number 2. The numbers went from 1,3,4..... That's because of this kid. I met this kid back when he was about 5 and again around 12. My sister's family knows them well. He's graduating from high school this year and it projected #2 in the draft. Imagine, you're fresh out of high school getting ready to sign a contract in a few months with millions in signing bonus. Good for him. Bobby will be something to watch in the majors for years to come. His dad was an awesome player too.

Anyone from Texas ever get to see him play?

Bobby Witt Jr
Old 06-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

It's the NBA finals.

Toronto and Golden State.

-Jake
Old 06-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Baseball? It's gotta be the NY Mets! I've been a Mets fan since day one, and have been to Shea Stadium (now Citi Field) so many times as a kid, that I lost count! I have only been to Yankee Stadium just once (just to say I was there - as part of baseball history). But you see, you can't be a Mets fan and a Yankees fan. It's not allowed. You have to choose one over the other. It's a New York thing... Ha ha ha ha...

Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I grew up an O's fan. However, ever since the union lawyer Angelos took over the team, he's made it impossible to remain a fan. Its embarrassing that his proudest part of being an owner is that he has the cheapest Yankees and Red Sox tickets for their fans. He has no desire to have a winning franchise because he would need to actually pay to keep good players and managers. Btw, he is also the reason Baltimore had to find an NFL team to move to Baltimore instead of relying on a expansion team. He was always the lead guy for getting one of those teams. I don't know how many remember the strike but he chose to forfeit ever game rather than field a team of replacements. So if you're an NFL owner, would you allow an owner who would prefer sitting on the side of the bargaining table with the players?

My girlfriend is a huge Tampa Bay Devil Ray fan. So if I had to pick a MLB team, it would be the Ray's. However, since I prefer going to triple and double A and games, I'm a Durham Bulls fan. The place where the term, Bullpen came from and the feeder team for the Ray's.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Baseball? It's gotta be the NY Mets! I've been a Mets fan since day one, and have been to Shea Stadium (now Citi Field) so many times as a kid, that I lost count! I have only been to Yankee Stadium just once (just to say I was there - as part of baseball history). But you see, you can't be a Mets fan and a Yankees fan. It's not allowed. You have to choose one over the other. It's a New York thing... Ha ha ha ha...

Hard to understand not liking Yankees. Aren't the NY Mets a minor league team? LOL
Old 06-02-2019, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Hard to understand not liking Yankees. Aren't the NY Mets a minor league team? LOL
Ow....

Don't make me come up there! LOL... Does Vermont even have any sports teams?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Ow....

Don't make me come up there! LOL... Does Vermont even have any sports teams?
Yes we have a class A short season minor league team associated with the Oakland A's. Cheap seats and since they aren't all that good they make a lot of errors so it always has action. Not all that much going on up here. Watching paint dry is some of the fastest action we enjoy. We do have some mighty fine fishing and killer sunsets though.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Well, I grew up an O's fan. However, ever since the union lawyer Angelos took over the team, he's made it impossible to remain a fan. Its embarrassing that his proudest part of being an owner is that he has the cheapest Yankees and Red Sox tickets for their fans. He has no desire to have a winning franchise because he would need to actually pay to keep good players and managers. Btw, he is also the reason Baltimore had to find an NFL team to move to Baltimore instead of relying on a expansion team. He was always the lead guy for getting one of those teams. I don't know how many remember the strike but he chose to forfeit ever game rather than field a team of replacements. So if you're an NFL owner, would you allow an owner who would prefer sitting on the side of the bargaining table with the players?

My girlfriend is a huge Tampa Bay Devil Ray fan. So if I had to pick a MLB team, it would be the Ray's. However, since I prefer going to triple and double A and games, I'm a Durham Bulls fan. The place where the term, Bullpen came from and the feeder team for the Ray's.

Im no Angelos fan but implying he wont pay isnt very accurate. How much did he pay Davis?

I can add many more player contracts if you like.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Spike

And a big part of him refusing to field replacements during the strike was of Cal's 2131 record.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:06 PM
Spike

One of the things I love most about baseball is the battle between pitcher and batter. This is the point of tension that the whole game turns on. What is the pitcher going to do? What kind of pitch will he throw? What about the runner on first? How will the batter respond? Will he let it go for a ball? Foul it off? Put it in to play?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service