Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Ice maker plumbing >

Ice maker plumbing

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Ice maker plumbing

Old 05-14-2019, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Ice maker plumbing

We replaced all 4 of our kitchen appliances and the existing tap for water to the refrigerator was substandard. I followed the line into the cellar and found a saddle valve which looked pretty bad. Due to the location I wasn't all that eager to try to solder a proper fitting as a replacement for that part and actually considered hiring a plumber. I went to the hardware store and bought a product called sharkbite ice maker kit. It had everything to replace the saddle valve and connectors along with the new pex tubing to run to the fridge. I have to say it was so simple and easy to install taking about 15 minutes. The ice maker and water dispenser are now operating well with a decent supply of water.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 05-14-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

A little tip, turn the shutoff valve for the feed line half a turn closed. Over the years when it gets packed with deposits you just have to break the threads loose and not the seat. They close a whole lot easier after they are packed with deposits when they aren't all the way open to the stop. Pretty much the rule for all valves that aren't exercised regularly.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Good tip.

It's amazing how much better products are made these days to make things easier for the Harry Homeowner. The new PEX piping is awesome. In my rentals, I don't hesitate to dead end the copper line and put a PEX coupling on it. Everytime I touch the plumbing.

However, if you have a leaking fitting, just cut it put and put a new one in. Don't try to crimp it at all. I did once on a 3/4 line It cracked and blew water directly towards my breaker panels. I had to quickly remember which panel my well was attached to and kill the power. A little scary but I'm here to tell you what not to do.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Congrats C I just repaired mine recently...mine only required a splice in the water line..3.00
Old 07-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
A little tip, turn the shutoff valve for the feed line half a turn closed. Over the years when it gets packed with deposits you just have to break the threads loose and not the seat. They close a whole lot easier after they are packed with deposits when they aren't all the way open to the stop. Pretty much the rule for all valves that aren't exercised regularly.
The Navy taught me that when you open a valve , you open it all the way, then close a half turn. I have been doing that since 1964.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I do the same..it don't take much pressure to fill the ice cube tray. I had a big rat come in to our kitchen..We have cut out swinging pet doors in our home as my wife is a cat lover. So a big rat got into our home looking for a water source. It chewed through the water supply line right at the silinoid of the ice maker { fill valve} that was a bugger to fix and also cut a hole in the drain hose of the dishwater as well...I ended up catching and killing the rat. the broken hose at the fill valve was about 1/8 inch from the inlet..very tricky fix. I used to be a maintenance man in a high rise in Washington D.C...I had 490 appartments to maintain..so I did stuff like this for a living..

By the way..when it ate the hole in the drain hole of the dishwasher we were not home...I had laid down wood lamenet flooring..the overflowing dishwater leak buckled up a ton of flooring..which had cost me 1000.00 We ended up pulling up the floor and I had ceramic wood planks put in ..