Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Don't open up a new bank account to get a "reward". >

Don't open up a new bank account to get a "reward".

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Don't open up a new bank account to get a "reward".

Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Spike

Exclamation Don't open up a new bank account to get a "reward".

I just got a "deal" from some Banner Bank (based in WA state) yesterday in the mail. I've never heard of this bank in my life. They will give me $100 (supposedly) for opening up a new checking account with $50 of my own money. I have to make three debit card purchases within 60 days to supposedly get this "reward". I thought this sounded like a gimmick. I went down to a local branch office in Boise, ID this afternoon to see about possibly opening up the account. The so-called personal banker looked like a middle-age geeky guy in glasses in sweats, no professional suit and tie. I am not impressed. There is a catch to all this for sure. I told him I did not have my checkbook with me to make a deposit and perhaps that was for the better. He said I would have to use the ATM outside to get cash and pay an ATM fee or I could use a personal check. I told him I would come back tomorrow with my checkbook but I suppose I had better not after all. I then later on decided to do a little research on this bank. Many bad reviews on line. This bank has sneaky fees they hit customers with and flaky management. Some customers reported never receiving their debit card on time to even use it to get the so-called reward. They are advertising such gimmicks solicited through the mail to lure dumb hicks in Idaho who might jump on this like a duck on a June bug. Evidently, this "bank" is not making it. I checked their fee schedule out also and do not like things like $2.00 fee for outgoing bank-to-bank transfers. My credit union never does that to me. I have always liked credit unions a lot better than banks anyway. No gimmicks and no fees for most services.

Getting "something for free" is a horrible reason to open up a new checking account.

Last edited by Dave_Preston; 04-16-2019 at 07:10 PM.