Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Why I don't like Samsung Smart Hub >

Why I don't like Samsung Smart Hub

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Why I don't like Samsung Smart Hub

Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 AM
Spike

Angry Why I don't like Samsung Smart Hub

it's built in to my Samsung Smart TV television set.

It's no substitute for a PC when it comes to Web browsing or video downstreaming as from YouTube.

1. the picture quality sucks
2. the streaming is laggy
3. you have to use the remote (TV clicker) as "a mouse and keyboard" which is slow and awkward as the devil to navigate through
4. yes, my TV has three USB ports on the back but only my Microsoft dongle mouse works on it but not my Microsoft dongle keyboard
5. the built-in Samsung browser sucks: I can't install Chrome, log on my Google account and import all my Chrome bookmarks and settings
6. yes, it has browser history, but if I close and reopen Smart Hub and try to go back to a YouTube movie I previously started in another Smart Hub session, I have to start the damn video all over from the beginning...a Windows PC with Chrome installed can be put to sleep after pausing a YouTube video in the middle, and when awaken, the movie can be resumed where it left off by hitting play

So, my laptop is connected to my TV instead for watching YouTube on the living room big screen.

Last edited by Dave_Preston; 04-09-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try playing back Netfix UHD or 4k content with a PC that does not meet the Netflix requirements for UHD.....It wont happen EVER. Yet my Samsung plays it just fine. Netflix does not support any AMD/ATI products. It must all be newer Intel (8th Gen or newer) and NVIDIA (1050 or newer) or you dont even get the UHD playback option.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 View Post
Try playing back Netfix UHD or 4k content with a PC that does not meet the Netflix requirements for UHD.....It wont happen EVER. Yet my Samsung plays it just fine. Netflix does not support any AMD/ATI products. It must all be newer Intel (8th Gen or newer) and NVIDIA (1050 or newer) or you dont even get the UHD playback option.
I don't subscribe to Netflix but I like to watch a bunch of Lassie reruns and hunting videos posted on YouTube for free...except I hate the damn YouTube commercials.

YouTube is my entertainment headquarters these days. The PC connected to the TV allows me to pause a YouTube movie in the middle, put the PC to sleep or just leave Windows running, switch to cable broadcast TV to watch Fox News or switch to a DVD or Blu-Ray player movie then allows me to switch back to YouTube to resume the YouTube show. My Chrome browser is also set to automatically restore previously-opened tabs/Web pages when reopened or the PC is rebooted. However, YouTube videos aren't bookmarked when Chrome or any other browser, including the Smart Hub one, is shut down and reopened. My wireless mouse and keyboard also works with my HP Pavilion notebook PC hooked up to the television set and resolution for video streaming is far superior via the PC than Smart Hub anyway. My PC is also hard-wired to the router too while Smart Hub connects via Wi-Fi which is slower. Samsung Smart TV is a great television set but it's no damn computer.

My HP Pavilion notebook hooked to the Smart TV has an Intel Core i5 chip in it and that pesky Windows 10. I like Windows 7 too much.

What Samsung should do is integrate a fully-functional Windows PC right into the TV housing. That could make for a really SMART TV set indeed.

Last edited by Dave_Preston; 04-09-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought a new Samsung QLED smart 55" TV last year. In addition, I got a Yamaha ESP2700 sound system and a Samsung BlueRay player all hooked up to the Xfinity cable box through HDMI cables. I had quite a few problems but finally got it all working using the Yamaha as the common connection. Xfinity goes to the Yamaha bringing the streaming and TV feed and the BlueRay and Samsung TV connect to other HDMI ports on the Yamaha. I can control most of it using the Xfinity remote after turning on the Yamaha power. The blue ray has to operate from its own remote.
I liked the simpler days when all you had to do was turn on the TV but the picture and sound of these new devices is really something.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-09-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
I bought a new Samsung QLED smart 55" TV last year. In addition, I got a Yamaha ESP2700 sound system and a Samsung BlueRay player all hooked up to the Xfinity cable box through HDMI cables. I had quite a few problems but finally got it all working using the Yamaha as the common connection. Xfinity goes to the Yamaha bringing the streaming and TV feed and the BlueRay and Samsung TV connect to other HDMI ports on the Yamaha. I can control most of it using the Xfinity remote after turning on the Yamaha power. The blue ray has to operate from its own remote.
I liked the simpler days when all you had to do was turn on the TV but the picture and sound of these new devices is really something.
Xfinity cable box: sounds like Comcast

I don't have surround sound or even a sound bar, so I can't say if that would give me any HDMI issues with my own 5-year-old Samsung LED HDTV.

One can also connect an external audio system (stereo amplifier, home theater receiver) to a TV using the old-fashioned RCA plugs but there won't be the full functionality of the HDMI interconnect. You might not be able to see your sound system's menu on screen without HDMI.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditch the TV and go to the woods, been 30 years since I had a TV
RR
Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
ditch the TV and go to the woods, been 30 years since I had a TV
RR
Sound wisdom here. I have very little use for most the electronic gadgets. Give me a deer stand or a pond full of big bluegills.