Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Traveling - enough locks on case

Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Traveling - enough locks on case

I just finished my spring turkey adventure. While checking my luggage in, the attendant asked me where the "other 2 locks" where. My Pelican case has 4 holed tabs for locks. I've only ever traveled with 2 on the case, and not had a problem. She was adamant that the TSA required all the holes to have a lock. I asked if this was a new regulation and she told me she was pretty sure I had to have locks on the case. But, since I flew over with only 2 locks "they" would let me check in the case.
I asked if this was in the airline's contract of carriage. The agent again said "Well the TSA really want to see 4 locks." I didn't want to argue further, so I thanked the agent and went on to my flight.

Are any of you guys out there aware of a new change by other airlines on this matter, or was that agent (Hawaiian Airlines) misinformed? I have my own opinion. I haven't heard of any changes or updates to the rules for locks on gun cases. And I don't want to run afoul of some newly updated regulation and screw up my next hunting trip.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

you need it locked so it can't be opened on any point. My dual gun case has 6, we use 2. There is no number in the law nor is there anything else tied to it

Last edited by Bob H in NH; 03-22-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

She doesn't know what she is talking about. Regs say it has to be locked but don't say how many locks you need on the case. Most TSA agents are little more than idiots in my experience.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, Id second that assessment, on the knowledge of the TSA guys Ive occasionally had to deal with
I once had to open a rifle case for a quick visual inspection, I was carrying a single browning 78 single shot rifle
a clone of this picture I found,
, with a strait face the guy asked me if I was carrying and loaded magazines in the rifle case

when you get questions like that, you know the lack of intelligence level your dealing with...

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-28-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fly with sporting firearms fairly frequently, sometimes internationally. There is nothing in the regulations about having a lock in every hole, but TSA agents may well insist upon it. I have seen the lock issue enough times that I now place a lock in every hole before check-in. It keeps this from becoming an issue with the agents, and any issue can cause enough problems to make a traveler have regret. A delay and a possible missed flight could be the result even if the traveler is following the rules available to the public and a supervisor eventually agrees with you. If some agents believe you need all the locks (and some definitely do) you are much better off to comply than to argue the point. Locks are cheap.

Additionally, the airlines have their own regulations that must be followed. Often these requirements are tougher than the TSA rules. The airline employee at the check-in counter can make life hard if they want to, so just smile a lot and go with the flow.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hardcastonly View Post
when you get questions like that, you know the lack of intelligence level your dealing with...

There are a number of things that a person could ask me and I would have no clue about. Including things I use regularly, like a computer.

That doesn't show a lack of intelligence. Only a lack of experience in a certain area.

-Jake
Old 03-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you could always mod the case so there are only two holes that need locks and eliminate this issue LOL

I guess some see it like trailer lights, IF there there they must all work, even if not wired up LOL

lots of crazy rules or request they can stick on you if they wish to be jerks I think
some times its best to just work about things so no issues can happen!, like I said, remove the unneeded holes, or fill em in , so there not seen, odds are your never going to use them, or need them?
just saying!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly View Post
yeah, Id second that assessment, on the knowledge of the TSA guys Ive occasionally had to deal with
I once had to open a rifle case for a quick visual inspection, I was carrying a single browning 78 single shot rifle
a clone of this picture I found,
, with a strait face the guy asked me if I was carrying and loaded magazines in the rifle case

actually the question wasn't dumb at all, as how was anyone to know you were NOT bringing anything else in the case
I used to travel a lot to shoots and bring parts to other guns, than the gun in the case would need or use!

imagine your that guy, working there and all the crazy things he has found over the yrs inside cases?
don't laugh, I know some that work in places like this, and the stories they tell me are crazy!

I have also, had folks trade in guns at my shop that had wrong ammo with the guns they were trading in , personal items stuck in barrels(including CASH rolled up and stuck down a barrel) , and found some strange items in cases they traded in with rifles and shotguns,you'd be surprised what folks forget they have in cases!
YES most experienced travelers LOOK first and KNOW,
but all ain;t that way, sadly!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Spike

In any case the airlines have their own regulations that must be followed
Old 04-15-2019, 04:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lorraine02 View Post
In any case the airlines have their own regulations that must be followed
WRONG! Transporting firearms is done in accordance with federal regulations and airlines cannot modify those regulations. Besides the OP was talking about what a TSA agent (who is federal by the way and not an employee of the airlines) said so no airline rules were mentioned. Get back to us when you know what you're talking about.

Last edited by flags; 04-15-2019 at 04:42 AM.