Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Motorcycle season '19

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Default Motorcycle season '19

Weather is set to hit 65 today so I'm officially declaring it motorcycle season here in the North .

I'm on a double today so no riding for me, but will maybe get out tomorrow.

who's ready to ride?

-Jake
Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Some pictures from past years

-Jake
Old 03-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I miss mine on days like this!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes I do too. I had a 2 wheeled ride from age 16 continuously until almost 50. My last one was a Harley custom softail and it was a very nice machine. Coming back from bike week at Laconia a vehicle kicked up a piece of concrete reinforcing mesh which came like a missile and stuck me right between the eyes. I was doing 70 and It penetrated the bridge of my nose about an inch. A fraction of an inch either way and it would have gone through an eye socket into my brain. I figured it was time and decided to cut my loses and stop riding. I still miss it after all these years but feel fortunate that all that riding didn't cost me. In the old days I had some petty fast machines and rode them hard.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

This was my last one, I sold it in 2011 because I started to get positional vertigo. Before the Ultra was a Sportster, a low rider, a fat boy and in the 70s two Suzukis

Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice looking ride OT. I miss riding big time but knew it was time to end that passion before something really bad happened. I have friends who ride and when they bring their bikes over I won't even sit on one. Afraid I will change my mind. The wife is glad I made my choice.
Have a funny motorcycle story to share. I used to like to get up on a nice sunny warm day and get on the road on a planned out trip around the region. One sunny July 4th I took off up through the Champlain Islands and over the bridge into New York's north country. I planned on going through the vast Adirondack Park which is something like 6 million acres and dotted with small towns. It was around noon and I came to a small town limits and could see flashing lights and all kinds of vehicles. A cop motioned for me to pull over and explained that they had closed the road for an hour so they could have their annual 4th of July parade. He could see I was irritated and said I could go through if i would be the first vehicle on the parade. That was a win in my eyes so I waited for a couple of minutes and could see different fire trucks, tractors and restored antique cars and trucks lining up behind me. The cop said to go ahead and keep it at around 5mph and off I went. I came around the corner along their main street and there were people all along the road up to the town limits. I was a rock star for about 30 minutes. At the end off I went to continue my trip.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-15-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

don't get that kind of service very often
Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

I've always liked the look of the ultras, and that color is very nice

-Jake
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Already been out riding here in Virginia...

2007 Honda Shadow 750. 42,320 miles, all original, and still going strong with no problems at all! One of these days my wife and I want to upgrade into a 1500cc, 1700cc, style tourer with a windshield, saddlebags, footrests, etc.. The 750cc is fine and has been for all these years, but we feel like we've outgrown it a little when riding 2-up. It just needs a little more oomph when riding up into Maryland or down to North Carolina on a nice day trip or something...

Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Butch you won't regret the move to a larger bike.

The top picture 'pikes peak or bust' the middle bike was a shadow 600 that I owned and put 40k miles on. That trip was around 6,000 miles I believe .

I can't imagine doing something like that on a small bike now. But i was living the dream then and didn't know any better!

It's hard to beat the comfort of a big cruiser.

-Jake

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service