Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Videos

Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Videos

Can someone please explain how guys make money by posting their "how to do it" videos. I keep seeing them and guys seem to want everyone to watch theirs so their must be some profit motive. How does that work?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

If there's advertisements before/during the video then they might be getting paid.

Allot of these guys aren't making anything off of them though. They just like the activity and like making videos.

I suppose the motivation to share them is to get more views and more watchers of their channel. And I suppose if they got ENOUGH watchers they'd make some money.

But I would guess most people making videos really aren't making any money. Or are making very very little if they are.

There's a long-time member here windwalker7 I believe is his handle. He has a fairly popular you tube channel for hunting, fishing, outdoor videos. If you PMed him he could likely explain it allot better.

-Jake
Old 02-15-2019, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is going to be a long winded response. I'll try my best to explain the process. The first step is to create a YouTube channel. In the begining, a content creator could allow monetization of their videos from the start. Monetization is allowing ads/comercials to be placed in your videos. Every time someone watch a comercial, the channel earns money. If they skip they dont. I believe each comercial view is less than a penny. So it takes lots of views to earn money. Once you reach the $100 threshold, you will have it deposited in your account. You need to link an account thru Adsense.

So originally, anyone could create a channel and earn money, but since then, YouTube has gradually been raising the bar. At first they raised the bar that each channel had to have 1000 hours of watch time in one year to be able to monetize videos. Then YouTube raised the bar again. Each channel had to have at least 1000 subscribers and have 4000 hours of watch time before you were allowed to monetize a video. Speculation is that the bar will be raised again. There are several rules about violence, swearing, hate speach, sexual content...etc....that will get your video demonetized by YouTube if theyfind it in your video.

That being said, there are rumors that YouTube will be cracking down again on what content us allowed. There are rumors thar videos with guns, about guns, about hunting, will be demonetized. Thank the liberal media and liberal social sites for this crap.

Anyway, in order to increase your subscriber count and view time hours, you need to upload lots of videos with good interesting content. The more you upload, the better chance to get noticed. How to videos and product review videos generate lots of views, but fewer subscribers. The reason being, that many people research products before buying. They watch your video, and then the next video from someone else and so on and so on. They don't subscribe, thet just move on. The same with how to videos. Those videos generate watch time hours but not subscribers. Good content gets you subscribers.

To be a YouTuber, you need thick skin. The trolls are everywhere. They insult you and your videos almost daily. But all in all, the YouTube experience has been great for me. I've been doing it since 2011.

You Tube has a music library that you can use to mix music with your videos. Some are free to use, some require you to mention them in the description, some require revenue sharing, where you must share earnings from the video featuring their song.

My channel is growing and have earned some money. I earned enough last year, that I had to claim it on income tax. My channel is Windwalker's Outdoor Channel. Here is a recent video that us quickly coming a hit.
https://youtu.be/U0UCtw4BfI8

Last edited by Windwalker7; 02-15-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. There must be a lot of guys trying to hit the minimum threshold and cash in. Only occasionally do I watch a YouTube video, and it is usually either a product review or a how-to. It would be a shame if subject matter such as gunsmithing, etc. was discouraged. Good luck with your business venture.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I subscribe to many channels. I find it much better than television. I can ask questions and interact with the person on the video. I can search what I want to watch....elk hunting.....goose huntin....dove hunting. I see real people hunting just like I hunt, not celebrities that paid someone else to do the actual hunting, while they just pull the trigger. Just a better viewing experience compared to television, in my opinion.

Last edited by Windwalker7; 02-15-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Good stuff Chuck. I really enjoyed the video about the 8mm-06 . Cool to see all those old photos and videos and that the rifle is still getting it done.

We did away with tv several years ago as well. The only time I miss it if during the nba playoffs or during the supercross season. But I can stream both of those online still.

We use Netflix and YouTube for the little bit of time that we allow the kids to watch TV.

Thanks for sharing all that info.

-Jake
Old 02-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

That seems like a lot of behind the scenes work to make money but you seem to have it figured out if you're having to pay taxes on it. Good job.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I wanted to add, there are additional ways to earn money using the YouTube platform as well. One way is to become an Amazon Affiliate. What you do is fill out a online form and submit it. When you are in the Affiliate program, you can link products in the video description. Amazon provides you with a special link. When a person clicks the link, it takes them to that product on the Amazon site. If the person buys the product, you earn a percentage of the price. This doesn't cost the consumer any more money than they would pay otherwise. It comes out of Amazon's profit. Different departments earn different percentages. Electronic, apparel, outdoor, home decor...etc....each has a different percentage that you can earn money. The cool thing is, if a person clicks your link to look at say a trail camera, and they end up surfing the Amazon site and buying a pair of boots or a pillow, or a shower curtain or whatever, you still get credit for whatever they buy, as long as it was your original link that took them to the Amazon site. My description is loaded with links by the way...lol.
Another way to earn money is to sell merch (merchandise) hats, T shirts, hoodies, coffee mugs and other stuff. Your channel really has to be popular to sell this stuff. I haven't done so well. I have a link to my store on Redbubble in my descriptions. I've sold a few things like phone cases, stickers and a few shirts but my channel isn't big enough to draw much attention there.

There are many YouTubers that make a living just thru YouTube and the above mentioned ways. That's is their job. I basically do it as a hobby and it's nice to make a little bit to buy more toys.

Anyway , thanks again!

Last edited by Windwalker7; 02-16-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

So what you're saying is... Anytime I need to buy something on Amazon I should go through a link on your video lol?

-Jake
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they track it somehow and notice repeated purchases from the same customer . They frown on that. Apparently I'm not supposed to have friends and family use the links.