Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

You Know You're Old When...

Old 01-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default You Know You're Old When...

You watch this video and know the secret to dialing a rotary phone.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/watch-2...a-rotary-phone
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
You watch this video and know the secret to dialing a rotary phone.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/watch-2...a-rotary-phone
Well... First of all, I knew I was old a few years ago when I was watching a re-run of Leave It To Beaver, and thought that Barbara Billingsly was attractive... But that's another story...

What I've found interesting over the years is how "dialing" a # is still so much a part of our lexicon as a society... Go to your cellphone today to make a fresh call, and what is the first command you have too ask of it?

When was the last time any of us actually "dialed" a phone #??? For me it was sometime in the early 90's...

Haven't really paid attention lately, but does it still read "Dial 911" on LEO vehicles?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually at times we still use an old dial up. We will use one that is packed away when the power goes out. It’s one phone that doesn’t require power to operate. It doesn’t need a cell phone tower or anything as long as there is a phone line you can plug it into..
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Plus, a rotary doesn't have to be programed to dial from any particular phone jack.

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-11-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used rotary phones for many years, I didn't need instructions to know which hole to put my index finger in to dial a number. Perhaps we were more advanced in thinking for our selves back then.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

That takes me back quite a few decades. When I first started working for ma bell in 1968 after an initial position as a lineman I was an installation repair technician. I worked on the old 500 rotary desk phone and the 554 wall set all the time. Ma bell owned all the phones, jacks and both inside and outside wiring so the techs had plenty of work. Repair varied but most were cord issues with some transmitters going bad in the handset resulting in static speech. Along came changes in the central office with the resulting touchtone 2500 and 2554 sets. A little later the modular jacks came on line which replaced all the old hard wired telephones. After that I migrated into management and got far away from the nuts and bolts of the telephone industry. It was a great place to work and was probably one of the best employers in Vermont and elsewhere.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I used rotary phones for many years, I didn't need instructions to know which hole to put my index finger in to dial a number. Perhaps we were more advanced in thinking for our selves back then.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

back when i was a youngster my grandparents still had an old crank phone that you had to make sure no one was on the line and cranked to get the operator and tell them the number you wanted. now thats old.