Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

So long my friend

Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default So long my friend

Yesterday was an especially difficult day here on the Island. We had to take our almost 14 year old dog to the vet for a routine visit and about a half mile out she started to pant. By the time I got to a parking spot she was still panting but not responsive. I carried her into the vets office and they did some tests followed by a chest x-ray and she had stroked and there was fluid all around her heart. Seeing how it was terminal we hastened her journey with some meds. She was the best dog I ever had and she will be missed. That decision on putting a dog down is always a difficult one. Fannymae gave us a gift by taking charge and making that decision for us.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-04-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

A good dog can quickly become a member of the family. And their loss is certainly felt.

-Jake
Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I feel for you.
I know how it feels.
I still have pain when I think about my feist that died in my arms 6 years ago.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry to hear that, I know how it feels.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

CI, so sorry for your loss. we had to put our lab down almost two years ago and still feel the loss. like you our dog was one of the family.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss CI. What was the breed?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to hear of your loss, I know all too well that this is the ONLY bad part of owning a dog, but its one many of us face and some times hard calls have to be made, even when there the right call to be made!

so condolences to you and your's, I am sure there will be a big hole in you's
but I also bet there are tons of fond memories to recall and help the healing process!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. A dog is a real member of the family and is always heartbreaking when it's their time to go to the "happy hunting grounds".
Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the condolences and well wishes guys. She was a very special dog. We used to have a couple of Dalmatians and both passed in their 13th year about a year apart. My wife used them in her real estate advertising for many years. It was her trademark, she was the dalmatian lady and worked out very well since they were such unique and pretty dogs. After the second one had to be put down I said never again. We went about 6 months without a dog in the home. I went with some friends on a Caribou hunt in NewFoundland. One of the guys had a sat phone and asked if I wanted to call home. It was a few months after Katrina flooded out New Orleans and my daughter went with a bunch of veterinarians and technicians down there and brought back dogs that were orphaned. My wife fostered her when I was gone and then we adopted her when I got home. Fannymae was a mixed breed Catahoula, lab and probably pit mix. She was small as a puppy but grew to 50 pounds and was rock solid and ran like the wind. The Catahoula in her meant she was a herder and loved to run. She would herd all the kids and any livestock that came around. She loved the snow and really liked spending time at our beach. She was very docile and was great around kids and other pets. Smart as a dog could be and I could talk with her and she understood everything. We could let her out and she wouldn't leave our yard and even when jumping an occasional deer when we walked in the woods would come back as soon as I called. Her mission was to please and she did that and more. There will be an additional fruit tree in the orchard this spring fertilized by her ashes.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry for your loss

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service