HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Off Season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season-117/)
-   -   So long my friend (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season/420071-so-long-my-friend.html)

Champlain Islander 01-04-2019 06:38 AM

So long my friend

Yesterday was an especially difficult day here on the Island. We had to take our almost 14 year old dog to the vet for a routine visit and about a half mile out she started to pant. By the time I got to a parking spot she was still panting but not responsive. I carried her into the vets office and they did some tests followed by a chest x-ray and she had stroked and there was fluid all around her heart. Seeing how it was terminal we hastened her journey with some meds. She was the best dog I ever had and she will be missed. That decision on putting a dog down is always a difficult one. Fannymae gave us a gift by taking charge and making that decision for us.

Bocajnala 01-04-2019 08:46 AM

A good dog can quickly become a member of the family. And their loss is certainly felt.

-Jake

jrbsr 01-04-2019 10:13 AM

I feel for you.
I know how it feels.
I still have pain when I think about my feist that died in my arms 6 years ago.

Oldtimr 01-04-2019 10:37 AM

Sorry to hear that, I know how it feels.

Mr. Slim 01-04-2019 11:33 AM

CI, so sorry for your loss. we had to put our lab down almost two years ago and still feel the loss. like you our dog was one of the family.

CalHunter 01-04-2019 12:28 PM

Sorry for your loss CI. What was the breed?

mrbb 01-04-2019 12:48 PM

sorry to hear of your loss, I know all too well that this is the ONLY bad part of owning a dog, but its one many of us face and some times hard calls have to be made, even when there the right call to be made!

so condolences to you and your's, I am sure there will be a big hole in you's
but I also bet there are tons of fond memories to recall and help the healing process!

ButchA 01-04-2019 02:10 PM

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. A dog is a real member of the family and is always heartbreaking when it's their time to go to the "happy hunting grounds". :cry: :s7:

Champlain Islander 01-04-2019 02:25 PM

Thanks for the condolences and well wishes guys. She was a very special dog. We used to have a couple of Dalmatians and both passed in their 13th year about a year apart. My wife used them in her real estate advertising for many years. It was her trademark, she was the dalmatian lady and worked out very well since they were such unique and pretty dogs. After the second one had to be put down I said never again. We went about 6 months without a dog in the home. I went with some friends on a Caribou hunt in NewFoundland. One of the guys had a sat phone and asked if I wanted to call home. It was a few months after Katrina flooded out New Orleans and my daughter went with a bunch of veterinarians and technicians down there and brought back dogs that were orphaned. My wife fostered her when I was gone and then we adopted her when I got home. Fannymae was a mixed breed Catahoula, lab and probably pit mix. She was small as a puppy but grew to 50 pounds and was rock solid and ran like the wind. The Catahoula in her meant she was a herder and loved to run. She would herd all the kids and any livestock that came around. She loved the snow and really liked spending time at our beach. She was very docile and was great around kids and other pets. Smart as a dog could be and I could talk with her and she understood everything. We could let her out and she wouldn't leave our yard and even when jumping an occasional deer when we walked in the woods would come back as soon as I called. Her mission was to please and she did that and more. There will be an additional fruit tree in the orchard this spring fertilized by her ashes.

RonM 01-05-2019 05:52 AM

Sorry for your loss

MudderChuck 01-05-2019 07:11 AM

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes people think putting them down is doing something to them, you are actually doing something for them. All of my dogs are still alive in my thoughts and remembrances. They are invariably smiling when I remember them.

Champlain Islander 01-05-2019 02:39 PM

Phil from Maine 01-10-2019 01:10 AM

I am sorry to hear this news about your old friend. I know how hard that can be. They are pretty much the same as family members and are happiest when they make you happy. But sometimes you have to remember how good they are to you and you have to make a choice on whatís best for them. At least thatís the way I view. Our hardest was a lab my wife and I had to have the vet put down after 18 years. Her regular vet said after working with her for so long he couldnít do it. He knew her time had come though so we had to travel to another vet for this. But anytime something like this happens is a sad thing to go threw. Again sorry to hear this..

Champlain Islander 04-04-2019 02:45 PM

Well I'll post an update. It has been a while since we lost our girl...Fannymae. Middle daughter, who is a vet tech, fostered a couple of dogs recently sent up from Louisiana. She asked us to watch the puppy while she was on a business trip to Seattle for her job with University of Vermont. It was a set up conspiracy between she and my wife. We said OK and it looks like Bailey will be staying with us. Really nice looking American Shelter Dog...AKA mutt. She is 14 weeks old and is brindle colored and looks like some sort of mix with pit, boxer and lab. Very smart and wants to please. I'll try to post a picture later if I can manage it.

Oldtimr 04-04-2019 03:02 PM

Good for your daughter, she got you, and you will be glad!

CalHunter 04-05-2019 06:48 PM

Still no pictures?? You must be busy teaching that dog fetch and tricks, etc. :biggrin:

Bocajnala 04-05-2019 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4354424)
Still no pictures?? You must be busy teaching that dog fetch and tricks, etc. :biggrin:

Probably cleaning up pee

-Jake

CalHunter 04-06-2019 10:26 AM

I just spit my coffee up. Darn you Jake!! :lolabove:

Champlain Islander 04-06-2019 12:34 PM

Been busy ice fishing. Today was the last day and we got on and off without getting wet. Had a good morning with 13 real nice crappie and three quarters a 7 gallon pail of nice seeds and gills. A good time to ring the quitting bell. Bailey has been good in the house and only had 2 accidents. She is very smart and seems to learn very quickly. She readily goes to her crate for the night. She loves to play fetch which is pretty good for a 14 week old puppy. I have some pictures of her on my cell but for some reason can't seem to get it transferred to this site. I'll keep working on it.

Champlain Islander 04-07-2019 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK I'll try to post once again. This is Bailey. She must have some lab in her because she has a great nose and loves to fetch. She got pretty excited when a flock of geese flew over the house when I just took her out. Odd that she can see TV. Fannymae couldn't grasp it and was oblivious to it. Bailey saw a show and it had a wolf walking along through the woods and she watched it intently.

Phil from Maine 04-07-2019 02:53 AM

I am glad to hear that your new pup is working out for you.. Sometimes a rescue dog whether a Heinz-57 or not will make the best dogs. That's what our black lab was after being rescued chained to a tree in the woods behind a house of druggies. She was very smart and the dog had a job to do with a police dept after her rescue. She became the top dog in our area for the job she had to perform. They would stop by and pick her up to take her on the job every so often. It worked out great for them because she was hidden from sight and yet out in the open because no one knew. So rescue dogs whether the Heinz-57 (mutt) or not can become some of the best dogs around.

Getting your phone to upload pictures can be very difficult on here I have found. But one thing that makes it easier is to not to enlarge the camera setting on your phone when taking the pictures.. Although it's still a hit or miss type of thing.. Good Luck..

Champlain Islander 04-07-2019 09:37 AM

Thanks Phil she is a lot of fun right now but being a puppy has a lot of energy and gravitates to getting into trouble. I just watched her try to sneak up on a robin out by the lake. It was funny to watch her low/ slow crawl like a cat. With her stripes and small size she did look cat like on her sneak. With her interest in birds I doubt I will have any problem keeping the nesting geese away from my yard this spring and summer. Got to put some size on her so the eagles won't try to carry her off.... LOL.

Bocajnala 04-07-2019 10:53 AM

Go to imgbb dotcom. You don't need to make an account.

Click on start uploading. Select your photo. Click on upload. Let it load.

Once it loads select the "BBCODE Full Link" option and copy and paste the code right into your post.

-Jake

Champlain Islander 04-07-2019 11:40 AM

I'll try it....IT worked and was easy. Thanks Jake