Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Where is everyone?

Old 12-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Default Where is everyone?

What has happened to everyone?
It is like a ghost town.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's the Christmas season... Lots of people are away visiting relatives. Most forums are like this around the holidays. It'll rebound after the New Year....
Old 12-28-2018, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes it is slow but I am not so sure it is the holidays Butch. Other forums I visit are going strong. What always made this place hop were the old time members who were always on and posting. They were characters for sure and there was always something interesting that was happening. One by one they have gone elsewhere and it doesn't appear that they are returning.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I am still here !
Just don't have much to say ?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Yes it is slow but I am not so sure it is the holidays Butch. Other forums I visit are going strong. What always made this place hop were the old time members who were always on and posting. They were characters for sure and there was always something interesting that was happening. One by one they have gone elsewhere and it doesn't appear that they are returning.
I agree with this. I was in 2 other forums yesterday and both were extremely busy. This place is very slow and I'm not sure how to fix that.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Everyone needs to post.
New members need to be welcomed.
Moderators should award HNI Tshirts to new members and old salts who achieve landmark post counts and or identify spammers.

We all know #3 won't happen but 1 and 2 would help. In the meantime I'll enjoy my threadbare HNI T-shirt give to me by Justin himself.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

If existing members make it a point to log on regularly, even if that's only every few days, and to comment on several posts that interest them, or to start new threads that interest them.... Traffic will increase.

Threads will have more replies and be longer, and there will be more new topics started.

Also, as CI mentioned, we need to welcome new members and not run them off. There's some members here with a bad habit of jumping all over new people, and then they never post again... Every member we run off is a loss to the website. That new first time poster could one day be a member with 10k posts . But not if they're chased away.

Make it a point to login regularly and comment on a few threads. If everybody did that this site would be allot busier.

-Jake
Old 12-29-2018, 04:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Good post Jake. The running off of new members has been bad for a while now. Mostly it is caused by a few negative posters who normally like to disagree with everyone. If a forum isn't friendly nobody wants to be there. Outsiders often feel like they are on the outside of a good old boy network and just don't take the time to become a regular. The moderator team is kind of limited based on the amount of time each day one or more are on line. When no mods are on duty and abuse happens it often works its way through several posts before it is caught and fixed. Often the damage is done before anyone sees it. In the recent past there appeared to be a void in moderation and IMO some bad behavior surfaced and was left to fester even more. The answer might be for some additional mods to better cover the day and night. I would encourage anyone who wants to try it to contact one of the mod team. The job can be fairly easy if enough active mods are on the site.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

jake, im on here almost every day even if its just to check out whats being posted. now that im retired i get to do that. when new people posts a question on the forums there is usually one person that has to make a comment that the question is dumb. this is how to run new people away from hunting net. i see it a lot on our hunting pa site. if you want to see some really nasty stuff go to the political forum. WOW. i stay out of there now. i used to enjoy the chat room as we could talk in real time. wish we could get it back.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Good post Jake. The running off of new members has been bad for a while now. Mostly it is caused by a few negative posters who normally like to disagree with everyone. If a forum isn't friendly nobody wants to be there. Outsiders often feel like they are on the outside of a good old boy network and just don't take the time to become a regular. The moderator team is kind of limited based on the amount of time each day one or more are on line. When no mods are on duty and abuse happens it often works its way through several posts before it is caught and fixed. Often the damage is done before anyone sees it. In the recent past there appeared to be a void in moderation and IMO some bad behavior surfaced and was left to fester even more. The answer might be for some additional mods to better cover the day and night. I would encourage anyone who wants to try it to contact one of the mod team. The job can be fairly easy if enough active mods are on the site.
I have seen the "rip the newbie" issue on other sites as well... It was definitely an issue on the old, and now defunct NAHC site(Currently NAH, and still pretty much defunct site)... That said, I'm not sure that "more mods" is the answer... In fact one of the complaints that I used to see about this site was over, and liberal moderation on this site...

IMHO, the greater issue that is affecting this site and others like it is the polarization that has occurred in this country... Many people are less willing to engage in "civil discussion/debate", and are retreating into "cyber silos" that echo their POV... It would seem that we are becoming a "my way, or the highway" kind of society...

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service