Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Where is everyone?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

Lot of truth in what Lunker said. Each outdoors website seems to have its' own vibe and how people get along. This place used to be a lot more fun with a lot of people who got along better and posted more. Some other outdoors websites are still very busy and have a lot less personal attacks. People disagree but still don't make it personal. They don't jump on newbies and instead answer their questions and try to help them along. NAHC and NAH both had their problems and went downhill. So have a few other sites as well.

I've been around this place a long time since the early to mid 2000's. It's definitely changed over the years. Back then, Justin Zarr ran a fairly tight ship and had epic battles with a member named Stealthycat. Justin kept banning ole Stealthy and and he came up with a ton of new IP addies and user names. The names were often similar and he had the same opinions. It was usually a month or less before Justin figured out it was stealthy and banned him again. Until then, just about everybody was in on the joke and enjoyed the camaraderie. Justin wasn't very happy but everybody else was. There were a lot of jokes back then and members used to tease each other a lot but almost everybody got along well. It was plain fun back then.

Back then, we didn't have a lot of temp bans. You either got banned or you didn't. No 2nd, 3rd and 15th chances. Over the years, there's been a few mods that were over the top but most of them have been pretty decent. Matter of fact, this forum, Off Season, got yanked over one mod attacking members and over-moderating. Some of you older members will remember him as his user name started with an "S." He's no longer a mod so I'm not going to bring up his whole name as I think he still posts once in a while as just a member. It took some other mods and admin to get this forum put back in place. Then it took more effort to get the original name put back. Everybody bellyached for about 6 months and then things sorted themselves out.

I don't know that any of this stuff has necessarily caused the slowdown at HuntingNet but it's prolly contributed some. Each outdoor website seems to have it's own niche that it fills. Some fit the bill better than others and are still going strong. This place has changed ownership, management and even a lot of mods as well as members over the years. Prolly a lot of reasons for it slowing down.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

There are also just a lot more options for online communication than there used to be.

When I was on Facebook I was on area specific hunting pages. Even pages for specific counties that I hunted that had several hundred active members . I could post a question about specific properties, or screen shots of maps and get several responses from people who actually had boots on the ground in that specific area.

Just allot more options out there now for people than the handful of forums that used to be popular

I still find value in a forum like this. That's why I'm still here

-Jake
Old 12-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jake has a great point... I'm on Facebook also, and let me tell you - there are some handgun forums that migrated over to their own Facebook "Group", and let their own internet forum, domain name, etc... all go kaput, and they stick with Facebook.

I don't post up as much as I used to, mainly because of major change in employment over the years. Back in my I.T. days I would multitask like a mo-fo and keep one task open, connected to the Unix server, compiling database code and restructuring indexes. While that was happening, I'd flip over to the other task window and post on HNI.

Nowadays, I took a drastic 180 turn, as the I.T. industry went bust (especially for us old Unix dinosaurs), and I refinanced the house, paid off a few things, scaled back a little, and now I have a CDL and drive a school bus for a living. It's a good gig for a semi-retired person, 3 hours in the AM, 3 hours in the PM, weekends and holidays off, summers off (unless you want to drive summer school), etc...etc... County run school system, incredible HR department, benefits, 401k, etc... **BUT** the pay is chump change compared to the I.T. industry (well, obviously!). So anyway, my time is spent on the road behind the wheel with 62 rambunctious elementary school kids!!!

But I will always try to keep in touch and post as often as I can. Let's all try to make HNI a great forum in 2019!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck in the new part-time career and congrats on retirement!

Between holidays, late hunting seasons and family commitments, this is a tough time of the year to spend much time on here. I don't use Facebook so I'm not familiar with those groups. I do agree on trying to make HNI more fun though!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I got off Facebook back in September as I was tired of the constant political posts and police bashing posts that I was seeing. Even from people that I consider to be close friends or family. I decided I was better off without seeing that stuff. And I don't regret getting off of it.

However, I do miss a few of the hunting groups and specifically the buy/sell/trade pages that I was on. I picked up several good deals on those from kids lawn toys, to tractors, tree stands, guns, and even a chevy blazer. Also sold a few items as well.

But over all leaving Facebook was a good choice for me. But, I do think that's where allot of people spend their online time instead of in traditional forums like they used to.

-Jake
Old 01-01-2019, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been a member on here since before the big meltdown of 03. I am in here almost every day but being a Canuck, things on here don`t really apply to me so I do not respond BUT I do enjoy the read. I used to go into chat when over 20 members were chatting( try to keep up to that). This site was one of the first that I discovered when I finally "went on line" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Made a few friends on here and met a few in person. Spent a week in Kentucky because of this site and am still friends with those folks.
Yes, times have changed. This was a great site at one time but to my belief and after reading a lot on here, it would seem some of the past mods on here kinda got carried away with their power and this is where everything went downhill (in my opinion only). Also the vast improvement with different chat sites and such, ours became obsolete(?)
Anyways, lets hope this site improves and new blood will find this place. Like I said, I have always enjoyed this site as it was one of the first I had discovered.

Ron
Old 01-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Off Season used to be the busy corner of HNI. Everybody posted here.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Allow me to share a hilarious post on FB (firearms related) between a good friend of mine, teasing me about being a retired "Coastie" and owning assorted firearms.

Me on Facebook: Here's a quick print screen image of an Excel spreadsheet I just created for all you fellow fans of the famous .45 ACP round and the equally famous and legendary 1911-A1 handgun. You may have to click on it to clearly see the prices...

Now... Wouldn't it be cool is HNI could get back to playful, harmless, banter and have fun posting all sorts of things? Nobody got their panties in a wad or got banned. We all had a great time back in the day on HNI and it can happen again!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

That would be fun. Too many people have lost their funnybone on here.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It can happen if people would lighten up a little. My post above with the teasing between my buddy Chris (motorcycle buddy from VA, then he and his wife relocated to Florida to start a new business), shows that two guys who can bust one anothers balls and nobody gets upset or starts complaining or cussing the other one out. But then again, my buddy Chris is an ex Jarhead, so who knows...

HNI can return to its glory days. We just have to try and find everyone from back in the day. Maybe go through the member roster and send a PM saying, "How you doing? Come on back, we miss you!"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service