Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Things come in threes?

Old 12-06-2018, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default Things come in threes?

I've heard 'bad things' happen in threes.

Started the motorcycle up yesterday and took it for a ride, as I periodically do throughout the winter. While out I lost my rear turn signals. (I did find a Good deal on Remington accutip slugs at a local shop while out though) Checked all the simple stuff, so gonna have to tear into that mess now.

Later that afternoon I hooked up my trailer and had no lights. Checked the wires on the trailer, all good . Checked power at the plug on the truck and had no power. Hoping it's just a bad ground wire.

I'm just wondering what the third thing is going to be.....

I suppose if these are the biggest problems I have this week that I'm still pretty blessed.
-Jake
Old 12-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Truck plug problem is probably a blown fuse caused by a short in the trailer. Check and replace if necessary and then use a multimeter to check for power and the short in the trailer wiring. I have 2 boat trailers and one utility trailer for the 4 Wheeler. Most of the time I have issues with at least one of them.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

I started with the fuses. There WERE two blown fuses, and I was relieved and thought that would be an easy fix. Replaced those..... Still no power to the plug.

I'm thinking something in the truck wiring possibly caused the fuses to go. I'm not good with electrical stuff.

I'm doing rear brakes on it next week and will have it up on a buddies lift, and I'll figure out the issue then.

-Jake
Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Banned

Electrical trouble shooting, is just looking is looking for the spot electrical is missing. It can be tough on vehicles getting at spots, and vehicle schematics sometimes are written for hacks and lack detail.

People talk a lot about grounds. But it takes two to tango. You need + and -.

Block the pedal down and see where the + or - is missing. Break the circuit in half or start at an easy spot.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would try to get an extra set of hands and do what Berserker suggested. I would want to wait until almost dark or a dark day and have someone turn turn the lights on after replacing the fuse. All the while I would de under looking to see what sparks. That would tell you where the short is alright.. Good luck with fixing it Jake..
Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Use the multimeter and get a diagram on the trailer wire harness so you know which leads carry the battery. Set on Ohms without the connector hooked to the truck but the trailer on the ball hitch and there should be no connection with any of the power leads and the trailer frame. If there is a short then look for a chafed wire. Also look at the connector and the truck receptacle. If there is corrosion inside that can do it too. OK my story about things come in 3...wife got her deer the other day but came at a cost of about 3K in damages to her CRV. Thats one. Today I was hunting and she called frantically saying the dog had a stroke. I hurried home and sure enough the dog was toast and couldn't walk. She was totally disoriented and her legs were flailing about and no way she could stand. We called the vet and had to wait until the appointment in about 3 hours. We both figured this was it for the good old gal but when the vet looked at her she said vestigular disease which in a nutshell is like vertigo in humans and only temporary. 8 hours later the dog is normal but I am out 300 bucks. LOL it was worth it. What's next?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned

Never tried looking for a spark.in the dark. Might work. I usually rely on drawings and a meter.

if blowing fuses right away you need to find way to isolate. unplugging lights or connectors might work.

following the wire, but that can get tough in harnesses
Old 12-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Never tried looking for a spark.in the dark. Might work. I usually rely on drawings and a meter.

if blowing fuses right away you need to find way to isolate. unplugging lights or connectors might work.

following the wire, but that can get tough in harnesses
true but a trailer wire doesn't normally have much of a harness. Most small utility trailers are connected to the truck with a 4 pin flat connector. If the trailer has brakes then there is normally a 7 pin round connector. If it is a 4 pin flat, the green, yellow and brown leads carry the power and the white is ground. A few times over the years when things just didn't add up with a trailer I just re-wired and started new. For around 30 to 50 bucks it can be replaced and kits are available at west marine, cabelas and most hardware stores.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-08-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

How come good things don't come in threes?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
How come good things don't come in threes?
Normally they do with old guys like us OT. Sitting here having a nice cocktail and my dog is happy and sleeping right next to me. I might even have 3 drinks..... Whats not to like?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service