Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

This is for Cal

Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I forgot to mention that I did get a fall turkey. It was a hen during the last week of our season. It was the first time that I tried my Remington 1100 Magnum on turkeys. Now I am asking myself why I havenít been using that on turkeys before. It completely hammered that hen.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Good job! 12 GA works very well on turkeys.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I walked in the road where that cutting is Wednesday morning. After around 2 miles in there a huge buck walked out. The problem was I use a 30-30 and he was 4 to 500 yards away. So I let him walk hoping to see him in the cutting. I never laid eyes on him again. I tried to track him but no way could I follow him threw that mess and be quiet. I did find an antler rub and signs of another buck moving threw the deeper part of the cutting. So I am planning on going back in there and finding a place to wait around. Hopefully 1 of them will show itself and give me a decent shot at him. Two more days and our rifle season ends. Then two weeks of muzzle loading season will start up..
Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

I know what you mean about having the right weapon. I'm still bear hunting (they haven't denned up yet cause I'm hunting at low elevation) and it's taking up a lot of Fall Turkey season. Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-24-2018, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

My rifle season ends tomorrow and I still have a tag. I missed a small buck on the second evening and haven't seen a legal buck since. I had a better chance on the second shot because it was away from the brush and tree limbs but the deer was sky lined and I couldn't take the chance of that type of shot since houses were downrange. I have a week to get my ice gear ready and then ML season opens for 9 days. Then it will be ice fishing time.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

We're lucky out here in CA. They use an open type bear tag so everybody can technically bear hunt if they wish. Bear season starts on the opening day of deer season and goes to the last Sunday in December or whenever they reach 1700 bears for the season. They outlawed using hounds for bear in 2013 so now it's rare to reach the limit. Bears still den up in higher elevations where it snows but if you hunt lower elevation like me, you could be bear hunting all the way into December. Makes it tough if you're trying to bag a couple of turkeys for the Fall season or anything else with an open season like quail, bobcat, fox and coyote. Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-30-2018, 12:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I havenít had any luck as of yet and I have next week to get it done with my muzzle loader and then the season is over with. I have had seen a lot of does and the buck has circled me a few times but no show. I had five moose go running out one day as I was walking in. But no buck as of yet. Yesterday I saw a fawn and a cow and spikehorn moose. People had been saying that the moose are not around anymore. I see them all the time out hunting though and a lot of others have as well. Far as bear hunting goes we have three methods and they never get the set quota. Here you can hunt over bait, use hounds, and trap. The bag limit is 2 bears. One by hunting and one by trapping. One of the problems is that a lot of local people donít like bear meat so they donít hunt them. I am included in the group that doesnít hunt them. My wife wants me to but I donít care to eat them..
Old 11-30-2018, 02:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I never shot a bear and don't plan on it. I have eaten them a few times and cant say they are high on my table fare list. Just not something I have wanted to hunt. In the past I saw quite a few when I hunted the Northern Vt Green Mountain areas. I now hunt around the house in the Champlain Islands and it is the only county in Vermont without a bear population. Just deer and turkey. Our ML season opens saturday too and I have a buck and doe tag. Like you Phil I didn't fill my rifle buck tag. I had only 1 chance and blew it. Oh well that is hunting.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I struck out on the deer hunting this year. I watched that big buck walk away because of the distance between us. I really thought that he would still be in the cutting when I walked up there but he had other plans. At least I saw him. I did see a lot of does and quite a few moose. I also dropped an arrow in the back field because I never had it mocked in when I pulled the bow back. I was going to take three days of muzzle loader season up the camp this week but lost the power steering some how on my 2017 Jeep and will be going in to get checked out tomorrow afternoon. I did see three nice long beards now that our turkey season is behind us. It still was nice to get out there and enjoying the great outdoors..
Old 12-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

You got to enjoy some time in the woods Phil, that's what really counted. You got out there and had some fun.

Keep at it.

-Jake

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service