Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
What can I do? >

What can I do?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

What can I do?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default What can I do?

Hello all,

let me cut to the chase, I was introduced to hunting by my father and Iíve been hunting for over 25 years now. My son is 6 going on 7 in December. I want to teach him the importance of safety around firearms and becoming a hunter. You see itís hasnít been easy to do so because he on the low end of the autism spectrum. He understands but not interested at all. Maybe itís his attention itís not there or he doesnít care for it. Iím afraid that when itís time I may have to will them to someone outside our family.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK so what is your question? are you asking for ways to MAYBE get your kid involved in hunting and shooting sports, or are you asking what to do wit any hunting shooting items you have??

the first pasrt of things IMO is, NOT all kids today even CARE about hunting or shooting, its NOT a big d eal as it was yrs ago, several generations now have come and gone with NO one in a family being a hunter or shooter, all the negative gun crimes on TV and schools,
if a kid doesn't have FRIENDS into the sport, odds are IMO< the kid will never really want to be in the sport, they like to do what there friends are doing and NOT be the singled out one in a activiety
things you can TRY and do, are have the kid come along to some more FUN shooting events, 3 gun matches, cowboy action shoots, or heck go wild and go to the Knob creek machine gun shoot, , or like shoot,
then take the boy and his friends(if parents allow) and see if that gets any sparks flying or interest and then take it SLOW< don't go buying a crap load iof items,
start small, like a BB gun, YES they still make em and sell em!

try just going for walks in the woods and trying to FIND animals, try making games out of it, to sneak up on a things, take a camera, see who can get the closest and take a picture!
get the boy some hunting magazine subscriptions, maybe that can help get interest!

but its a no guarantee as everyone has different desired and wants in life, you can TRY and get the spark started, but GO easy and slow, as you can blow it out just as easy as starting it!

NEXT if you asking what to do with items you already have
I say USE them, NO one says you HAVE to have your kid tag along to go hunting shooting!
maybe down the road, your kid will see how much YOU enjoy them and they will have sentimental value that way and will want them, over wanting them to hunt with or shoot!, and if nothing else, they can always SELL em and get money, which MOST family members I know seem to rather these days, NOT a lot of sentimental value on things in today's generations!
OR as you already stated, you CAN leave them to someone that will appreciate them for what they are, and remember it DOESN"T have to be a family member here either
I always find it so ODD so many feel they MUST give there things to family when maybe friend or someone else in there lives has actually done more for them
that blood is thicker than water crap doesn't work with me
way I see it is, take care of those that take care of you, and trust me FAMILY isn';t always the one doing the most care! seen it countless times, BUT They sure EXPECT everything when you die!
and to me its SAD people still leave it to them when others might deserve it more!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

If you have firearms in the home, then your kids need to be taught basic firearm safety, even if they have no interest in hunting or shooting.

To try to get them interested, start slow and make it fun. My 5 year old likes to shoot his bb gun and my .22s. but his attention span is only about twenty minutes. So we set up and shoot until he's done and I don't press for more.

​​​​​​He likes to squirrel hunt and can usually last about 2 hours. But again, I keep it fun and sometimes that means not focusing on squirrels . If he says "what's over there?" We go look and see. I let him play with plants and explore if he wants to. It costs us some squirrels but keeps him interested and enjoying it.

-Jake
Old 10-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Also, I would add this. I do make him sit still when we go out. That's part of learning and part of discipline as well. At 5 years old, he should be able to sit still quietly for a while if need be. So we practice that . But I don't make him sit hours on end. We sit for a while, then let him explore, then move and sit again, etc.

If I want to sit longer I will occasionally pull up a game on my phone and let him do that if he's getting bored .But I don't do that very often. And he doesn't play them games very long anyway he's rather be playing in the woods.

-Jake
Old 10-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I think Jakes methods are very good for the youngsters who might not show a passion for hunting. I raised 3 girls and like their Mom non of them wanted to hunt. Fortunately they all like to shoot and fish so some of what I have in my genes passed on.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

This is a hard subject to answer although I don't think you're looking for answers so much as just to vent a bit and hear if anybody else has encountered a similar problem. Not all kids like to hunt or, in your case, have the interest in doing so. That part is honestly a personal decision for you. I'm assuming your son is an only child and grand kids are not likely. If so, maybe a nephew or niece or extended relation. Regardless of your decision, enjoy your time with your son. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jose, I think you allow the child to make the decision. Pushing a kid into something they do not want to do to please yourself is not doing the child any favors. We all have something inside us that makes us hunters, not everyone has that and you can't put it there if it does not exist in a person. This may sound over simplified but if I were your situation, I would asked the child if they want to hunt, even at a young age they will know if they have an interest, then be guided by what the child says. If the answer is no, it is not your fault or the child's fault, it just is, don't take it personally .
Old 10-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Also remember Jose, he's only 7. What he likes now will change many times over between now and adulthood.

Provide the opportunity, make it fun when he goes, and don't stress over it . He may have no interest now, but maybe will in the future.

-Jake
Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

He is only 7. I wasn't hunting at 7.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Folks, keep in mind his son is also on the low end of the autism spectrum. This isnt just dealing with a 7 year old, may slightly be more difficult but I will admit the process is possibly the same. Make it fun for him and interesting enough he wants to come back for it.

My coworkers son is autistic, great kid, can be a handful at time, but loves riding on atvs with his dad and friends. They go camping at atv parks often and enjoy themselves. Couldnt get him fishing, hunting, or boating but atvs was what got him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.