Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Back went out

Old 10-06-2018, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Back went out

So last Monday I was hammering the fall black crappie over some old bridge abutment structure in about 16 to 24 feet of water. Every year during September and October they come to that place. There are several humps with a lot of debris from an old bridge. Anchoring is always a chore especially if the wind is blowing. If you slip anchor it will often get stuck in the old timber and steel from the bridge that was demolished years ago. I have lost several anchors so in the last few years that time of the year I would switch to a flat cinder block as an anchor. The design isn't prone to catching anything and if it does get stuck it is no loss when you cut it off. A 50 to 60 dollar anchor vs a 10 dollar piece of concrete. So my anchor slipped off the top of the hump when the wind came up and I was drifting fast into another anchored boat. I jumped up and pulled my anchor up in a hurry and was twisting as well as pulling and my back went out. I suffered for 3 days and it was getting worse so I reluctantly decided to try a chiropractor for the first time. I went in and got an adjustment and am actually feeling much better. I got a full night sleep for the first time this week. Going back on Monday for the second appointment and feel he really helped me. I am missing on the bite and am not bow hunting our opener which is today but know that hopefully next week I'll be back in the game. Next year a new Minn Kota trolling motor with spot lock will be on my boat. No more having to deal with throwing out an anchor.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-06-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Back issues suck! I messed mine up pretty good back when I was in high school. Back then I used to powerlift and I was doing a 475 lb deadlift and I used too much back and not enough leg and tore a bunch of muscles in my back. I was in traction for nearly 3 weeks and on pills (muscle relaxers and pain pills) for a couple of months. Every now and then it flares up on me. I've gotten to the point where I keep a back brace handy about all the time. Got them in all of out cars, at work, in the house and also at my mother's house in CO for when I visit there. Anytime I feel a flare up I'm grabbing a brace.

I feel for you and hope it gets better.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to figure out if it is muscle, disc or bone. That will give some idea of how to help it heal.

I've got all three going on.

One thing that really helped me is having someone work the muscles in my back that knew what they were doing. The muscles in my back were injured, the tenseness, swelling and compensating in my daily life was constantly pulling my back crocked. It was a six month process, three times a week. Hot air (dry) heat and massage, the guy was a master. He drastically reduced (80-90%) my years of constant discomfort and periodic downtime (agonizing pain, I couldn't put my own socks on for weeks at a time),

If you can find a good massage therapist it may help you. Worked wonders for me. It took me a few tries to find a good one.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Also look into dry needling. I swear by it. They go in and pop the knots in the angry muscles. I've discovered this gal through my crossfit classes and she is on speed dial for me. My last issue was my right knee after a long road trip. I got on a road that had 40 miles of switch backs. I left a lot of rubber on those turns but also messed up my knee going from gas to breaking so hard for so long. I have had really any back issues since my martial arts stuff a few years back but I know others in crossfit do and use her for that.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags View Post
Back issues suck! I messed mine up pretty good back when I was in high school. Back then I used to powerlift and I was doing a 475 lb deadlift and I used too much back and not enough leg and tore a bunch of muscles in my back. I was in traction for nearly 3 weeks and on pills (muscle relaxers and pain pills) for a couple of months. Every now and then it flares up on me. I've gotten to the point where I keep a back brace handy about all the time. Got them in all of out cars, at work, in the house and also at my mother's house in CO for when I visit there. Anytime I feel a flare up I'm grabbing a brace.

I feel for you and hope it gets better.
Thanks and somehow my issue (so far) seems minor to what you went through. I always cringe when I see the heavy power lifting on TV. Somehow the human body just doesn't seem built for that much stress especially the lower back which is a poorly designed part of the human evolution. I am glad your back issues are able to be managed. What type of back brace do you like? I have looked into a few on the internet and would think it will be a smart thing to have especially if I am planning to do some heavy lifting.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Also look into dry needling. I swear by it. .
This is Vermont....we still have crank phones manual gas pumps and the doctors still prescribe snake oil elixirs...LOL
Old 10-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
What type of back brace do you like? I have looked into a few on the internet and would think it will be a smart thing to have especially if I am planning to do some heavy lifting.
I like the ones by Mueller. You can get them at Walmart for about $25 or so. Not fancy but they give me the right amount of support in the places I need it and are fully adjustable. I wouldn't be anywhere without having one readily available.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags View Post
I like the ones by Mueller. You can get them at Walmart for about $25 or so. Not fancy but they give me the right amount of support in the places I need it and are fully adjustable. I wouldn't be anywhere without having one readily available.
Thanks I'll pick one up next trip to town...probably tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your back CI.. Get well soon and God speed. There's some good info in this topic. I'd never heard of dry needling before.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
This is Vermont....we still have crank phones manual gas pumps and the doctors still prescribe snake oil elixirs...LOL
lol, ask your chiropractor who does it They may even offer it. The gal who does mine has a PHD in Physical Therapy. She told me there is a wide spread of medical who are into this treatment. You just need to look into it.

bottom line, there are issues at our age which pop up from time to time and we need the help of a professional that doesn't mean going to you GP. There are alternatives

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service