Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2nd Home, would you do it again?

Old 04-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2nd Home, would you do it again?

We are looking at purchasing a second home here in Montana, 350 miles from our current home. We spend quite a bit of time where the home is located, having actually made quite a few friendships in the area, one of which actually pointed us to the home we are looking at before it hit the market. That said those that have or currently have a 2nd home, would you do it again? Why or why not?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I have rental properties and I love that. As for a second home, I think it would have to be a home and a condo. Maintaining two homes can be tough. 2x the yard work and stuff. However, I'm looking at the beach. So I feel it's a home and condo combo and the condo makes more sense at the beach when adding up the costs.

Now my neighbor enjoys their home and a cabin of sorts up in the mountains. They're always going up there. She got it to ride horses and it works well for them.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Getting real close to making the deal, thanks for the reply....I have did some research regarding rentals, perhaps for the first five years doing the Airbnb thing, bad part is we don't qualify for the $25000 deprecation deduction, but looks like there would be a host of other deductions a person can make, prorated on how much you actually use the place yourselves.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah, that new tax plan is going to hurt some folks. I'm still out on whether it helps or hurts. I guess I will find out next year how bad I get whacked if at all.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a place here in Alberta and north Montana. My property in MT. borders the forestry and elk are commonly seen. Its only 3 hrs between each place and a very scenic drive. My wife just died last year and I too question why I need 2 places but I was told not to make no major decisions the first year so I too am in incognito too.

Bobby
Old 04-24-2018, 03:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I see it like Fm said and taking care of 2 properties can be a lot of work. I used to have a 4 bedroom 3 bath house on a half acre and a mountain cabin on 15 acres. Years ago I was looking at retirement and wanted a lake-shore property. The thought of maintaining a cabin on the lake, a mountain cabin and the big house in town with just Mrs. CI and I living there was too much. I decided to sell the big house and look for a full time place on the Lake Champlain. We found a nice 2500 sq ft home all on one floor sitting on 3 acres with one of the nicest beaches on Champlain. Since I am a fishing nut living there gives me access all year to some great angling and hunting too. We have both veggie and flower gardens and a small orchard which keeps me busy. I have relatives who kept their town homes and bought summer cabins on the lake and they are always having to go back and forth doing the required maintenance.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

I've got a camp, that I have set up like a home and spend a great deal of time there. Mine is 300 miles away.

If you are a yard nazi, it can be tought. I live out of town, so if I skip cutting the grass I don't care.

For me it has one of the best things I have done. There are other things I don't do as much, like bike trips, cause I am spending so much time in the woods. For everything there is a season. Camp also works out easier than bike trips, since I got dogs. Not saying I won't do bike trips again.

There are people I don't see cause I am gone so much.

It would help if your home is remodeled the way you want. Though I have plenty of time to do projects, it is just my focus is on doing stuff at my camp. So it is a discipline and money issue, more than time.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Not a second home... but we have a cabin.

A second home sounds like a lot of work to me. Weekly yard care, etc. The cabin is nice because we brush hog it once a month and pick up whatever limbs are down in the area. It's got everything needed for comfort (shower, bathtub, toilet, full kitchen, washer/dryer, living room with tv and dvd player, ) But it doesn't quite meet the description of a "second home" in my opinion.

It's 145 miles from my house, so we get there pretty often. Try for at least twice a month when the weather is good. If it's something that you'll use, then go for it.

-Jake
Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I often wondered about the people who worked 3 hours away from there place on the lake. Why did they not find a nice place nearer their work to live and play.

All I knew back then was I made money from a bunch of them every summer and fall. Once May arrived I had lawns to mow till late Sept. then the leaves started falling and the people wanted them gone from their lake front property.

Then I wanted a place to go and stay for a couple weeks in the summer to fish. I also wanted a place to deer hunt away from ther orange hord during Michigans fire arm deer season.

I found a place 6.5 hours away from home vacant property with 1/2 mile of frontage on Big Bay DeNoc. It was vacant property so at first in the summer we just set up a tent but after one deer season in the tent I bought a used travel trailer and kept that there for 10 years.
Then I built a 24'x24'cabin with a loft.

I rarely go there any longer since all my deer hunting buddies have passed away, the kids grew up and no longer take vacations to fish with me there and the wife isn't crazy about the mice that always seem to think it is a good place to live.

So this year it is going up for sale. We are working out a deal to buy 10 more acres next door right here at home where deer hunting is pretty good for nice bucks and fishing is only an hour away in Lake Huron .

Would I do it again. If all my deer hunting partners were still alive and my kids were young and liked to fish with me. YOU BET IN A QUICK MINUTE.

14 years of deer hiunting there I saw 9 other people than my partners. I seen that many a day where I hunted before buying there.
Probably would here too if it wasn't all farm fields all round my woods.

Al
Old 05-02-2018, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I often wondered about the people who worked 3 hours away from there place on the lake. Why did they not find a nice place nearer their work to live and play.

Al
I do ask myself why I don't move. I like my job. I could get something I don't like as much and leave at my camp. Hard saying. Maybe lazy or a wuss at times.

But driving doesn't bother me. Drive 200 miles a day for work. So 300 miles to camp for just a weekend doesn't bother me much. I find even with 11 hours of driving, my weekends are more active.

I am up pretty much every other weekend all year. Now we are getting in the in between time of year, not snowmobiling, and 4 wheeling is so-so. But I can go bike riding down south this weekend.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service