Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Call to post ..old OS players >

Call to post ..old OS players

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Call to post ..old OS players

Old 03-31-2018, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Call to post ..old OS players

I was thinking it is sad that a lot of the past very active members who used to post daily on the OS forum don't come around anymore. It might be a good time to shake the box and see if anyone shows up.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

CI, there used to be a fellow in here that went by Jax. havent seen him for quite a few years. he was from northern Pa. and trained bird dogs. knew his health wasnt good but never seen any news about him in here. does anyone know if hes still with us.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim View Post
CI, there used to be a fellow in here that went by Jax. havent seen him for quite a few years. he was from northern Pa. and trained bird dogs. knew his health wasnt good but never seen any news about him in here. does anyone know if hes still with us.
Unfortunately I don't remember him but that is probably on me. If he was someone I used to talk with I would remember. There are a lot of older people who really were the cornerstones of the OS like Rickmur, and Davidmil and others like Kevin1 all of which are now not with us. I hope they all are resting in peace.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-01-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really was something of a golden age for this site to have a healthy population of guys who were early Boomers or even older than that, but had figured out how to use a forum.
It does not puzzle me that many of them are gone, but what does puzzle me is the absence of quite a few younger members (not as young as me) who would now be in their 30s or 40s.
I guess catch-all forums generally ceased being as hot---I even see a lot of regional or state hunting forums have the bulk of their threads pre-2013. Most guys probably read a relevant thread after it pops up in a search engine like it's the Cabela's reviews page, without signing up for an account to ask a similar question, themselves. It seems very specific forums dedicated to say, AR-15s, concealed carry, or something are where there's still some vibrancy.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Okay, okay... I heard the rattling sound, and I'm here.

How is everyone?
Old 03-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just thinking about you when I read this thread, ButchA!
I remember one time you had to correct me when I called Creedence Clearwater Revival "Cold Creek Revival."
Old 03-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by younggun308 View Post
It really was something of a golden age for this site to have a healthy population of guys who were early Boomers or even older than that, but had figured out how to use a forum.
It does not puzzle me that many of them are gone, but what does puzzle me is the absence of quite a few younger members (not as young as me) who would now be in their 30s or 40s.
I guess catch-all forums generally ceased being as hot---I even see a lot of regional or state hunting forums have the bulk of their threads pre-2013. Most guys probably read a relevant thread after it pops up in a search engine like it's the Cabela's reviews page, without signing up for an account to ask a similar question, themselves. It seems very specific forums dedicated to say, AR-15s, concealed carry, or something are where there's still some vibrancy.

Facebook and other social media outlets have taken the front position for most of the younger people.

I'm on a PA small game hunting page that has nearly 7,000 members and new threads every hour of the day. I can post a question to a specific area and typically get 20+ replies within minutes, or a couple hours tops, from people that actually have experience hunting that general area. I've met up to hunt with others from that page multiple times.

They get even more specific. I'm on an Ohio page called "North East Ohio Buck Hunters." Last year I posted that I'd be out hunting on a wednesday on Public land to do some drives and set a meeting spot. 8 guys showed up to hunt that I'd never met before and we had a good day.

Personally, I like this forum the best. Especially back when it was more active. I like the layout, with different sections, and usernames etc.

Posts get lost on facebook, and if they aren't right at the top of the page, you might never find them again.

But these types of instant social media pages are taking over the internet forum/ message board. They are convenient, accessible, and seem to be much more area specific.

-Jake
Old 03-31-2018, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

It's too bad as we had some awesome posters back in the day (no offense to anybody currently posting of course). Just a few of the more notable OG members were Cardeer, Datbuck, cougar, RonM, Rickmur (of course), RebelFlag, Deer Man, AlaskanWanderer, SwampBuck, scanr (a real gentleman), Cougar Mag (he's still around), bigbang (he beat the show by almost 20 years), hawkeye, the inimitable stealthycat (he's still around), Captain and many others that escape me at the moment.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Happy Easter, everyone!

I think Bocajnala is onto something in regards to Facebook... Internet forums used to be hopping and everyone was on them constantly. Multiple threads, hour on the hour, and you had to keep up on a steady basis.

Nowadays, lots of people (and not just kids) have migrated over to Facebook and some have setup "Pages" or "Groups" over there, and it has really put a massive dent in the days of internet forums.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I remember a lot of fun posters. Lance Couch Couch, 2 Lunger, Bawanajim, Berserker, Tardfarmer aka FNG, TDWW, M T Hands, Dr Death, NY Bowhunter, and many others. When I first came on the scene Cardeer was one of the most active and he always would engage even with a newbie. Those were indeed great days.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-01-2018 at 05:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.