Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Smart cars or smart poeple? >

Smart cars or smart poeple?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Smart cars or smart poeple?

Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smart cars or smart poeple?

Yahoo, my e-mail provide had a link to some car magazines reviews of the 10 best selling 2018 vehicles that are lower end on pricing. The first car listed was the Dodge Charger. The review pointed out some good and bad but seemed reasonable. Then came the part where the author concluded whether they would recommend the car or not. Their conclusion was not to because the vehicle lacked on vital safety feature: an back up camera that other manufacturers provide.
Some here may also consider that a priority. My view is that if you're that concerned, always walk to the back of your vehicle to check. That goes for tires and fluid check on a regular basis.
Cars are having so many systems taken over by technology that drivers IMO are being dumbed down here-as in other aspect in life-too much. So my question to readers is: do you believe vehicle technology is taking too much driver responsibility away, making for worse drivers? Smart car technology or smarter people?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

smart car's, phones and what not's IMO are making people DUMBER and Dumber
there NOT learning skills, there relying on THINGS to do everything, that once was a SKILL you learned and lived with.
there is NOTHING wrong with having some things to make life easier
but IMO< there is a problem when folks never learn HOW to do things in the first place

I personally think all the new vehicles with them BIG touch screens ( and yes I own one)
are actually NOT as safe as cars without them
I mean, when you HAVE to take your eye's off the road to make adjustments, find APP"S on a screen for things, your NOT watching where your going
this is the same reason they made Texting and driving illegal
and or using a phone(as a phone)
I am not sure HOW these MFG"S are getting away with this to be honest
I see a law suit in the workd at some point , when some idiot kills a bunch of people while they were trying to adjust the heat or AC in there vehicle, and NOT watching where they were going

yrs back you could make adjustments without looking, once you learned where controls are at
I don;'t see this being possible when a screen has to be changed to access things?

guess that is why they have blind spot warning and lane drift warnings and BLAH BLAH< so, you can day dream and be notified when your NOT in your lane?
or them auto stopping brakes going on, cause you NOT watching where your going!!

I prefer paying attention when I drive, but that too might be a dying trait in people?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, I am not big on my vehicle making decision for me. How to park, how to back up etc. Just another way to abdicate human responsibility. Anyone who cannot parallel park a car or back up a car should not be driving!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I load up my boat trailer or wheeler trailer every day all year and have done so for years. I got pretty good at judging the distance and centering. The 2014 F150 had a backup camera with zoom. Wow is all I can say. It makes that PITA function so easy and well worth whatever I paid for that option.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with CI, connecting traitors and other things those back up cameras are great. For just reverse, no need for it.

Who parallel parks in the country?
Old 08-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Not a fan of the backup camera however, you should ALWAYS back into your spot. It's a lot safer than backing out of the space. It's hard to convince the wife, who managed to hit the garage wall pulling straight in of that fact though. Go figure.

I thought the newer the screens would finally allow me to share my screen with the car's. I tried it on the darn loaner I had for so many months while my Chariot/sleeper rocketship was in the shop, nope, didn't work or I couldn't get it to work. Wasn't worth the effort after 5 mins. It should be possible by now. I don't travel without Waze running most of the time. Seems I'm in a little bit of ticket trouble. Oops.

Never driven one of the R/Ts. I'm sure I drove a charger once during my travels. I'm not a dodge fan at all. Always thought they had cheap looking interiors. I once had the option of an R/T or Genesis from Avis. Took the Genesis figuring I would get an opportunity to get the R/T another time. It's never happened but the Genesis is a Mercedes with a different label. Awesome car hands down. First Hyundai I ever liked.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
I'm with CI, connecting traitors and other things those back up cameras are great. For just reverse, no need for it.

Who parallel parks in the country?

I knew I forgot something. The proper way to parallel park (works best with a truck or SUV capable of doing so) is to pull in front wards so your front tire goes up over the curb. Then you turn the wheel so it drops back off the curb. Presto, perfect parallel park job inches away from the curb. Now of course they frown on that move if you're taking a driver's test which requires parallel parking.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

My biggest issue with them putting more electronics in vehicles is that these systems are going to fail at some point. I say this as a millennial who has utilized countless computer/electronic devices in my life, but chooses to drive a '97 F-150.