HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Off Season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season-117/)
-   -   Using GPS units suspends your brain's own location awareness (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/off-season/412664-using-gps-units-suspends-your-brains-own-location-awareness.html)

JoeA 03-21-2017 02:43 PM

Using GPS units suspends your brain's own location awareness

Here's another example of technology replacing brain function. First it was calculators doing math for us, then it was the spell check in word processing software. Now this. Hmm...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0321122526.htm

Fieldmouse 03-21-2017 06:35 PM

Pictures, that's another way or just another form. Folks just don't commit to memory the finer moments in life.

muzzlestuffer 03-21-2017 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JoeA (Post 4298174)
Here's another example of technology replacing brain function. First it was calculators doing math for us, then it was the spell check in word processing software. Now this. Hmm...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0321122526.htm

Sounds like something Nancy Pelosi has going on ?

flags 03-22-2017 03:52 AM

I don't carry a GPS at all. I know how to use a compass and a map. Anything electrical can and will eventually fail but a magnetic compass will always work. Plus, and many people don't know this, the US military owns the GPS satellites. When they released the technology to the public they encrypted it and then put a bypass around it so the civilian world can use it. But in the time of need all they have to do is push a few buttons and cancel the bypass and all civilian GPS units as well as those sold to other nations become worthless.

Champlain Islander 03-22-2017 04:52 AM

I always carry one when I am hunting big woods or out west. I also carry 2 compasses and often a map when available. I use good old fashion dead reckoning and my compasses for most of my nav needs but use the GPS as an additional tool. The GPS is especially good when hunting big woods like in Maine where a thick swamp separates the ridge I am on with the truck parked at the end of a logging road. Often there is a nice moose trail which takes the easy way across the swamp and locking in a way point on both sides gives an easy way out at the end of the day. That tool allows me to confidently stay a little longer on the ridge then navigate to the near end of the moose trail. My GPS has topo maps too which is nice because it gives a good picture of what is ahead. If I want to hunt a saddle up on the mountain I can bring it up and set a waypoint electronically in the notch and then go to it easily. In the event of a GPS failure I still have the compass to get me back to the truck even if it takes me across some rougher crossings. One hunting partner Rob bought a newer version which clearly shows the latest info on property lines out west. Just another tool to help the hunt as far as i am concerned. I don't know anyone who just uses a GPS without a main compass as their navigational aid. I have a nice silva hanging around my neck and a pin on ball compass on my coat to help stay on course when the sun or landmarks are hidden.

alleyyooper 03-23-2017 04:35 AM

A magnetic compass will not always work properly. I can take you to a place at my UP Michigan deer camp and watch as the needle on the compass will almost spin like a top to see your reaction. There is a good deposit of iron ore near the top soil in that area.

I always carry a extra change of battery's for my GPS and usually charge the ones over night I took out after a days hunt.

:D Al

Champlain Islander 03-24-2017 02:19 AM

I think it is safe to say anything electrical or mechanical can fail. With that in mind ...when I am in big woods especially when unfamiliar with the area I take the time to use the tools I carry to periodically double check that I am actually where I think I am. The GPS works well since it has maps and shows where I am in a given area. I can see the rivers, lakes, roads and terrain on my map. It is unsettling when the GPS or a compass tells me that I was wrong on where I thought I was or the direction back to the truck. It happens and using multiple nav aids helps to overcome the uncertain feeling that comes with being turned around. Compasses do have errors. That is why I always carry 2. Once my ball compass seemed to be giving false readings and I always use that to stay on a specific heading when in a swamp or other area where there aren't distant objects to line up on. It turned out I had a 2 way radio on the inside pocket and it was biasing the compass. I pulled out my silva and when they didn't match I figured it out.

alleyyooper 03-24-2017 03:11 AM

Got caught in a sudden fog bank while out on Lake Huron about 20 some miles out. My GPS is a old 12 channel Garmin, brought me right back to the break wall at Lexington, if the wal wouldn't have been there no doubt in my mind I would have ended up beside the same dock I had set the start point at as a go back track.

:D Al

Hatfield Hunter 03-24-2017 05:43 AM

same thing happening to our youth---ask youth to count and make change---without a calculator or computer they have a very hard time not all of course but a large portion ! Why back in the 70,s and 80,s calculators were allowed in schools, then computers, now we have a lot of math brain dead future leaders of the free world

Bob H in NH 03-24-2017 11:08 AM

I've actually had two compasses fail on me. First for whatever reason lost it's ability to find magnetic north, it randomly pointed wherever it wanted.

Second was a pin on ball type (yes I know cheap), but it lost all water in it and stopped spinning.

I've also had GPS batteries die.

Mostly I use a GPS to mark things while scouting, especially a new area, mark a hot looking spot to come back to it later. I also mark my game cameras when I leave them out.

For navigation, don't use the GPS much